Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pedestrian lighting resource

Registered
    Feb 2009

Pedestrian lighting resource

I'm working on a pilot-project to gauge community attitudes toward pedestrian lighting in a struggling neighborhood. Though the central interview questions address safety, issues of community identity and economic impact will also be explored. Ideally, we'd like to provide a variety of photographs of pedestrian lighting in other cities for comment. Does anyone know of a good resource for examples of pedestrian lighting?

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    I'm unsure what you mean by 'pedestrian lighting'. Do you mean street lighting? Or more imaginative lighting schemes within public open space?

If you can provide some clarification I may be able to help.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Sorry about that. I primarily meant street lighting (street lamps), as the municipality is unlikely to support more creative lighting schemes. The corridor we're working on has plenty of road lighting, but little to illuminate the walking routes.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Google search my friend. Also, try looking up some vendors in the area that provide street lighting. They usually have excellent reference manuals and can provide plenty of photos for pedestrian lighting in action. My company has a ton of photos from projects we designed as well as others collected in the field, but i am not previ to give those up.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Lighted bollards are a great way to illuminate footpaths without all the light pollution standard street lights cause.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2005
    The Dark Sky Association has a long listing of "approved" lighting suppliers (many of which have decent photos): http://www.darksky.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=56423

You can jump from there to other parts of the site for other info. This is what an "approved" fixture means:

The Fixture Seal of Approval provides objective, third-party certification for luminaires that minimize glare, reduce light trespass, and donít pollute the night sky.
    Although this group is focused on improving night sky visibility, these same criteria make lighting more effective and safer for users because they reduce the contrasts between lighted and unlighted areas (creating shadowed areas that feel unsafe), reduce glare (which dilates our pupils and makes it harder to see far in poor light) and directs light where it should be. These lights will also be more energy efficient and many use LEDs.

I'm also fond of solar street lighting as they are stand-alone mechanisms (batteries are stored in the base, the solar panels are often integrated into the bulb housings). I have seen some very nice solar street lamps. They are also often used in remote parks where electricity is not available.

This site has some varied examples. I'm sure a quick google search will yield more.
    http://www.solarilluminations.com/ac..._Lighting.html
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    The Dark Sky Association has a long listing of "approved" lighting suppliers (many of which have decent photos): http://www.darksky.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=56423
    This amateur astronomer says: Dark Sky, aye.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 4:49 PM
  2. Lighting Parking lot lighting
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Jun 2005, 9:39 PM
  3. Lighting for pedestrians
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Aug 2004, 10:09 PM