Urban planning community

Poll results: How are things going?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, things have never been better

    4 10.00%
  • Moving quickly where we need to be and will arrive soon

    4 10.00%
  • Not where we need to be, but going the right direction

    21 52.50%
  • Not bad, but not good (No change)

    3 7.50%
  • Moving, but in the wrong direction

    1 2.50%
  • Rapidly getting worse

    4 10.00%
  • The USA is screwed

    3 7.50%
+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4
Results 76 to 92 of 92

Thread: Almost half way in the first 100 days, how are they doing?

  1. #76
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,757

    Bump goes the thread...

    Just wondering if everyone still has the same opinion now that we are less than 100 days from the election.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

  2. #77
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,621

    still drinking the Kool-Aid, as a chaser

    I think Congress refusing to try Obama's stimulus work of late is appalling as it is reportedly being blocked because of the election and that they don't want the economy to improve before November - people on either side should be offended

    I think finding the Obama care plan constitutional just means that - if people think it's a bad idea then that's different - but if they throw it out, they need to come up with something else - even if you don't like the plan, the fact he diligently addressed the problem and offered a solution is immense

    I think our presence in the Middle East needs some honest analysis - what are we doing there? what is our mission and what is our goal? - that's too scary of a conversation for anyone to have, whether it be the right or the left

    I think Obama has done very well given the right side of the aisle has not given him a chance - I still believe in him though and I feel overall that he is working to make the country better

    I think it's sad there is a scary population out there that hate him for being black - it's okay if you don't agree with what he's done, obviously, but this last election really brought out the ignorant, a radical right, a supremacist white or Christian elements in this country that is pretty scary because their views are violent in emotion and allow for no discourse; but that doesn't mean we should shirk from it and get a pasty white guy in there next

  3. #78
    Cyburbian boiker's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    West Valley, AZ
    Posts
    3,895
    I think Obama is OK. We need a third party to dissolve some of this us vs them garbage that is paralyzing the governmental process. I don't know how I'll vote this election, but my tendency leans left.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

  4. #79
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,029
    Blog entries
    2
    I'll still vote Obama.
    At the very least in the hopes that some Supreme Court Justices will retire and need to be replaced.

    But he does need to pick up his balls and berate the do-nothing congress of Republicants.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  5. #80
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593
    We are going in the wrong direction. Obama is taking us in the wrong direction. Mitt Romney wants us to go even further in the wrong direction. The whole planet is going in the wrong direction. What if we spin off our axis and get thrown into the sun? is that what you people want? For us to get thrown directly into the sun?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  6. #81
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wherever
    Posts
    1,181
    The status quo definitely needs to be changed but I don't see Romney as being the one to be able to do it in a positive way. He's been shown to have no spine so he'll bend over to whatever crazy whims the Tea Party or corporations may have. I really have no idea how he'll govern since it seems like he has throw all his beliefs out the window in an attempt to get elected.

    Then I read this yesterday:
    Papa John's: 'Obamacare' will raise pizza prices

    It really bothers me to hear a company complain about such a small amounts of money just so their employees can have insurance. Then to have Romney back away from his signature achievement in Massachusetts just to bend over to people like this really concerns me. Cutting taxes, regulations, and services alone is not going be enough to get people back to work or help the deficit in any meaningful way. To hear people argue the contrary really makes me wonder where their interests lie.

    Government alone is not the answer but it at least has to be a part of it. Currently Republicans seem unwilling to accept this and that's why I can't vote for them.

  7. #82
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    We are going in the wrong direction. Obama is taking us in the wrong direction. Mitt Romney wants us to go even further in the wrong direction. The whole planet is going in the wrong direction. What if we spin off our axis and get thrown into the sun? is that what you people want? For us to get thrown directly into the sun?
    That would be a brighter future than we appear to have now.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  8. #83
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Location
    newark nj
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    The status quo definitely needs to be changed but I don't see Romney as being the one to be able to do it in a positive way. He's been shown to have no spine so he'll bend over to whatever crazy whims the Tea Party or corporations may have. I really have no idea how he'll govern since it seems like he has throw all his beliefs out the window in an attempt to get elected.

    Then I read this yesterday:
    Papa John's: 'Obamacare' will raise pizza prices

    It really bothers me to hear a company complain about such a small amounts of money just so their employees can have insurance. Then to have Romney back away from his signature achievement in Massachusetts just to bend over to people like this really concerns me. Cutting taxes, regulations, and services alone is not going be enough to get people back to work or help the deficit in any meaningful way. To hear people argue the contrary really makes me wonder where their interests lie.

    Government alone is not the answer but it at least has to be a part of it. Currently Republicans seem unwilling to accept this and that's why I can't vote for them.
    I disagree. I've written it here before that I think a president Romney will govern very similar to a governor Romney, which means he'd govern a lot like Obama has. So while has no spine, I don't see him bending to anyone except popular opinion in order to keep his job. If Romney had won in 2008 he (IMO) would have handled every major issue with the same tactics that Obama has. Except the Republican power structure wouldn't be complaining about nationwide Romneycare. Just because it isn't Obama. Either way, I'm not voting for either of them as I think they're both spine-less, non-leaders, that pander to special interests. So F* them.

    I also think its funny that a lot of folks who dislike both are voting for Romeny on the grounds that it'll keep the Supreme Court to the right. As if two Republicans didn't put liberals in the SC (Reagan with O'Connor and Bush I with Souter), and Bush II put in someone level headed enough that he voted up on Obamacare (Roberts).

  9. #84
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    5,348
    I'm not a big Obama cheerleader, but Romney would undoubtedly be worse in my book. There is way too much about him that makes me tremendously uncomfortable having him in charge of this country. He seems like a scandal waiting to happen.

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  10. #85
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I'm not a big Obama cheerleader, but Romney would undoubtedly be worse in my book. There is way too much about him that makes me tremendously uncomfortable having him in charge of this country. He seems like a scandal waiting to happen.
    Or another war. Romney is a man of no true convictions, and such people are dangerous because they can be easily manipulated.

  11. #86
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wherever
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    I disagree. I've written it here before that I think a president Romney will govern very similar to a governor Romney, which means he'd govern a lot like Obama has. So while has no spine, I don't see him bending to anyone except popular opinion in order to keep his job. If Romney had won in 2008 he (IMO) would have handled every major issue with the same tactics that Obama has. Except the Republican power structure wouldn't be complaining about nationwide Romneycare. Just because it isn't Obama.
    A few months ago I would have probably agreed with you but now I'm not so sure. I understand that pandering and flip flops are part of politics but Romney has taken it to a whole new level. His behavior to me indicates he's content just being a rubber stamp for the Republican Party as long as he's elected president. Unfortunately he's given me zero reason to believe he won't do that during his first term in office, especially with the looming threat of a Tea Party primary challenge come reelection time.

  12. #87
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Location
    newark nj
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    A few months ago I would have probably agreed with you but now I'm not so sure. I understand that pandering and flip flops are part of politics but Romney has taken it to a whole new level. His behavior to me indicates he's content just being a rubber stamp for the Republican Party as long as he's elected president. Unfortunately he's given me zero reason to believe he won't do that during his first term in office, especially with the looming threat of a Tea Party primary challenge come reelection time.
    I think he's just doing that for the support, in reality the Rs may or may not take the Senate back, but the Dems have had quite a struggle passing legislation even with the Senate majority. The Republicans won't win 12 or how many Senate seats they need for full legislative control and so even IF Romney provided a rubber stamp it would be worthless since no legislation would pass, unless it was bipartisan (which is crazy rare nowadays). To avoid a Tea Party challenger he'd just blame the Dems on being obstructionists and with the Right-Wing media telling its people what to think, they'll support Romney with easy for renomination. The Democrats won't be winning back the House regardless of who wins the presidential election (at least not right now), so we're looking at a stagnant federal government at minimum until the 2014 midterms, and possibly beyond.

  13. #88
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,757
    I find it interesting that this thread has gone into the 'who is better, Romney or Obama' black hole when that was not the intent of the thread. That is the never ending political thread or the 2012 Presidential thread. This is about how has the current administration done over the past 3 1/2 years.

    I personally think that the country was moving in the wrong direction before Obama took office, but he only sped up the process of decline. I think that he is genuine in with his intentions to help the middle class, but I don't think that he has been successful in doing so.

    I also find it interesting that he stuck his neck out before he got elected saying that he would turn things around in his first term or it would be a one term proposition. By many (not all) economic measures he has not done that.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

  14. #89
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,127
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I find it interesting that this thread has gone into the 'who is better, Romney or Obama' black hole when that was not the intent of the thread. That is the never ending political thread or the 2012 Presidential thread. This is about how has the current administration done over the past 3 1/2 years.

    I personally think that the country was moving in the wrong direction before Obama took office, but he only sped up the process of decline. I think that he is genuine in with his intentions to help the middle class, but I don't think that he has been successful in doing so.

    I also find it interesting that he stuck his neck out before he got elected saying that he would turn things around in his first term or it would be a one term proposition. By many (not all) economic measures he has not done that.
    I think that is because it is easier to compare what someone else would have done (or what you think they would have done) then to say, well the worst economic crisis since 1930 happened during the last 4 years, so Obama didn't do well.

    Pretending like the last 4 years were comparable to the previous 8 years is laughable. Obama was dealt four 9s in Euchre. He tried (unsuccessfully) to get legislation through when he had the house and most of the Senate. He was demonized for his approach to getting the United States out of the recession and many of his initiatives were blocked. Then he was demonized for not doing enough, when the truth is that he never had enough of a majority to just have a "rubber stamp", and had a very strong tea party opponents who were hell bent on making sure he wasn't successful and that the government was shrunk.

    The ideology divide has made his presidency the first in a long time that was unsuccessful because of the unwillingness of both sides to find even the smallest of common ground.

    How were the last four years? Bad. But what context are you viewing them in? It was just as much - if not more - the fault of the house and senate as to why things aren't "better". But how much worse would they have been without the moves that our President made? We will never know.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  15. #90
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,334
    Just saw this week that the sitting Congress has the worst approval record in decades. It looks as though the masses may start speaking that they'd wish the Represenatatives would start doing something - anything - constructive instead of their present 'do nothing' course of (in)action.

    Do you honesty think that if we acted that way for our paychecks, we would still be working?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  16. #91
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wherever
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Just saw this week that the sitting Congress has the worst approval record in decades. It looks as though the masses may start speaking that they'd wish the Represenatatives would start doing something - anything - constructive instead of their present 'do nothing' course of (in)action.
    This is another reason the Ryan VP pick makes no sense. Obama would have had a hard time tying Romney to Congress but not now.

    Anyway, if you want to make an argument to cut government, the best way to do it is make it function as poorly as possible. This is what the Republican obstructionism in Congress is doing. The House Republicans spend all their time passing bills that have zero chance of getting by the Senate or Obama. They know full well that anti-abortion and anti-Obamacare riders in bills are DOA but they continue to send them along to the Senate. Then you have Senate Republicans blocking or filibustering almost everything so they can make Harry Reid look useless. Then if by some chance something gets the 60 votes to get through the Senate (like the recent farm bill), it goes and dies in the House.

    I've heard the argument that the dysfunctional Congress is all a result of Obama's poor leadership. This doesn't ring true to me when Obama spent most of his presidency trying to compromise but only ended up getting burned. It's obvious that Republicans want nothing more than to see Obama fail so why would they work with him?

  17. #92
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,058
    Blog entries
    6
    I will vote for Obama. That is not to say I am really happy with his performance so far. I think he has been a bit too timid and concillitory with Congress. But I hope he gets reelected and then, without the ability to run again, remembers what he promised us back in 2008 and gets busy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

  1. School Days, Golden Rule Days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 12:42 PM
  2. 2 and a half years and no job
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 08 Dec 2009, 9:31 PM
  3. Flags at Half Staff
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 14 Aug 2008, 9:53 PM