Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grad school application notices - MRED & MS real estate 2009

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Per Michael Buckley, MSRED Director at Columbia, no admission notifications went out. They are notifying applicants in Urban Planning and Architecture - not MSRED.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for clarifying. I most likely spoke to the person currently filling in for Jessica.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by donedeals View post
    What youve heard is very true. However, I think the most important thing is where you want to end up after school. If youre going to stay in LA, USC is a no brainer, youll network with local people that can help you in your career later. Im an MRED now and have loved it, though to be frank, its not about the education...its nothing (well not $60k worth) you could not have taught yourself from buying some books. And most developers dont have MREDs... I could go on and on if youd like... Id be available to meet if you prefer.
    donedeals Id like to hear your thoughts on the USC program and what you might be trying to do in the future. The 60k price tag I have to say is pretty absurd. Its at least 20k more than MIT.
    Either way, gotta wait for acceptance letter before I start comparing tuition seriously

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Per Michael Buckley, MSRED Director at Columbia, no admission notifications went out. They are notifying applicants in Urban Planning and Architecture - not MSRED.
    Not true.

On 3/13/09, I found out I've been accepted to Columbia's MSRED program!

Accepted:
    Columbia
    Johns Hopkins
    U of Illinois, Chicago

Unknown:
    MIT
    UF

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Also accepted at Columbia MsRED on Friday.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    accepted to USC via e-mail. More details to come in the mail. Still waiting on MIT.
    I am more than a little spooked by how expensive USC is though. I wonder if it is fantasy to think they might give out grants.

Where are ppl leaning towards going? Columbia, USC, MIT, Cornell?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 23 Mar 2009 at 4:51 PM. Reason: double reply

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Anyone NOT hear back from Columbia?

Not sure what to think. Did most acceptances go out last Friday?

Apparently, admissions is "still working on applications"

Registered
    Feb 2009
    i havent heard back either, still waiting to hear about columbia. The website has no info

I am also waiting to hear back from Columbia. As stated before, the website has no information and the people in the admissions office are not giving out information. I am bit frustrated with the whole process. I recently got accepted to NYU's MSRE program and UPENN's MCP program. Columbia was my first choice but I am leaning more towards NYU for 2 reasons:

1. I am frustrated with Columbia's admission process.
    2. NYU's program is a two year program while Columbia's program is a one year program. I am not sure how long we will be in this recession but I do not want to graduate with a degree after one year and have trouble finding a job. With NYU, I can stay under the raider for 2 years.

Could you all give me some incite on NYU's program based on what you have heard or read?

Thanks a lot!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Hey. NYU Summer or Fall?

If Fall, how and when were you notified? Thanks

NYU Summer. Classes start in mid-May. They sent me a big envelope.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Article from NY Observer - Columbia MSRED graduates.

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-estate/lehman-babies

Thanks for the article. It has really helped!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Article is helpful. However, it is no mystery.

Also, many of us in related industries already have lack of security to begin with.

rejected from columbia. noon today.

went to #3 B.Arch too...guess those 10 seats designated for architects is hard to come by.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 23 Mar 2009 at 4:51 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Mar 2009
    also rejected for MsRED of Columbia

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jaruss01 View post
    rejected from columbia. noon today.

went to #3 B.Arch too...guess those 10 seats designated for architects is hard to come by.
    Is the 10 seat number based on a %?
    I am also a former architect.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    percentage or not, 10 is 10% of the 100 person class size. (they typically have 10 architects in the program). however, this # may be lower this year, as they may be avoiding transitional students b/c the job market will be strict enough as it is come graduation. or at least thats my theory to justify my rejection.

side note: tentative acceptance at NYU. they have requested that i take 2 part time core courses over the summer and receive a grade of B or higher. if achieved, im accepted for the Fall...this is due to my zero exp. in real estate, since my background is strictly architecture. anyone hear of this policy?

Registered
    Mar 2009
    [QUOTE=jaruss01;483414
    side note: tentative acceptance at NYU. they have requested that i take 2 part time core courses over the summer and receive a grade of B or higher. if achieved, im accepted for the Fall...this is due to my zero exp. in real estate, since my background is strictly architecture. anyone hear of this policy?[/QUOTE]

Did you apply for summer or fall? Are you considering that option?

I have not heard of that with the NYU program.

Registered
    Dec 2008

Classes for fall at NYU

Jaruss,

How did you hear about this two class requirement? Did they mail you somethingor via email? Or did you call an admissions counselor and they told you.

I am an architect as well waiting to hear back for the fall, so just curious. Ic an keep you posted if they say the same for me.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Email on Thursday. Yes, I am proceeding with this option.

just heard a story from a friend @ NYU undergrad- he had to do the same when switching majors. this is not entirely relevant, but it does prove that NYU admissions has used this type of procedure before.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 23 Mar 2009 at 4:50 PM. Reason: double reply

NYU classes

Quote Originally posted by Spac3d View post
    Did you apply for summer or fall? Are you considering that option?

I have not heard of that with the NYU program.

I am in the same boat. I was told last semester that if I took two classes and got a B or higher I would be accepted. Right now I am taking an Intro to Finance course. The courses are not extremely difficult and offer valuable knowledge. Should I get a B or higher, I plan to enter the program this summer. I was rejected from Columbia last week.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jaruss01
    Email on Thursday. Yes, I am proceeding with this option.
    Did you apply for summer or fall?

Quote Originally posted by Spac3d View post
    Did you apply for summer or fall?
    I applied for Fall 2008. They told me to take two more business/finance related courses at any university, and then they would admit me. Last semester I took Financial Accounting. To correct myself, I am currently enrolled in Intro to RE Investment Analysis. I suggest the class. Basic but important material, and like I said, not too complicated.

Out of curiosity, what is the age range of those on this thread? I'm 28

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Hey DNF,

I am 26. I was wondering if you were taking those two classes at NYU or at another University? What is the process? You would just show them your transcript and then you can enroll?

I have not received an email, so I"m not sure what that means, but still waiting for their decision.

So will you start this fall full time or part-time?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    very interesting...

i am just shy of 2 yrs out from my B.Arch (24 yrs old). Considering I have < 2, I had to submit a GMAT, which I took solely for NYU. Would have liked to do MBA, but its too competitive this year, and NYU MSRE offers the best transition from architecture into something more financially based.

They offered me RE Financial Anal. I, RE Financial Anal. II, and RE Investment Anal. I. These are night courses, so it does not interfere. They last from mid May - mid July, then I should be starting full time in late August.

Common sense tells me to avoid the RE Analysis II class and go with the other two courses. Any advice here?

Does anyone have any insight on the structuring of the Full-Time curriculum? &#37; of classes that are offered during the day? The full-time calendar - general start and finish dates? (The SCPS website info is strictly on a per credit basis).
    Last edited by jaruss01; 23 Mar 2009 at 5:34 PM.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1562
    Last post: 10 Jun 2014, 11:14 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Aug 2010, 10:15 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2010, 12:17 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Nov 2009, 2:00 AM
  5. Replies: 0