Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Grad school application notices - MRED & MS real estate 2009

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Jaruss,

What i got from the info session I went to back in feb. was that they mainly offered courses in the evening at 6:30. They also have some classes offered at around 4pm for people who travel from another city, since its easier for them to bundle two classes in one day.

I didnt get the feeling that they had classes during the day or at least they werent mentioning it. I think someone may have even asked about classes throughout the day, and they said they really dont have them, but I could be wrong. I have heard different things, so if anyone else knows, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally posted by mendez_s View post
    Hey DNF,

I am 26. I was wondering if you were taking those two classes at NYU or at another University? What is the process? You would just show them your transcript and then you can enroll?

I have not received an email, so I"m not sure what that means, but still waiting for their decision.

So will you start this fall full time or part-time?
    They informed me before Fall 2008. They said they would except courses from any school. At the time, I still wanted to try my chances at Columbia MSRED. So I decided to enroll in Columbia's Post Bacc business certificate program. http://www.ce.columbia.edu/postbacst...ntent=Business

I took Financial Accounting and Finance at Columbia. Got a B- on one of the courses instead of a flat B, and so NYU wouldn't except it. It was okay with me as I still was waiting to hear from Columbia MSRED. NYU told me they still want to see one more B and I will be excepted. Spring 2008 I decided to enroll in one of NYU's professional studies RE classes as I liked the fact that it was only half a semester. When I enrolled in the RE Investment Analysis class, I did it online and it was very simple. For NYU classes there is no need for transcript etc.. The classes are full of professionals who have come to gain a little more knowledge in subjects relevant to their careers. Good networking opportunities. Truth is, I have learned the most valuable information in the NYU class than the other classes I have taken. Very straight forward and to the point. I can't speak for all the classes, but our class the only homework that is involved is self-review, and at the end there is a final exam.

Assuming I get the grade I need (don't see why I won't), I plan on enrolling Summer 2009 full-time at NYU. I am also very curious about the full-time schedule and would greatly appreciate any info...

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by greenlander View post
    donedeals Id like to hear your thoughts on the USC program and what you might be trying to do in the future. The 60k price tag I have to say is pretty absurd. Its at least 20k more than MIT.
    Either way, gotta wait for acceptance letter before I start comparing tuition seriously
    actually I was wrong here. MIT is around 55k. so comparable to USC

Registered
    Sep 2008

to donedeals..

Hey Donedeals,
    quick ?, you said "its not about the education," besides contacts, what would you say are the benefits of the MRED and in your opinion is it worth the 60K? More specifically my goal is to go to USC but return to the Bay Area...I wish there were such an MRED program in the bay...For someone like myself do you think USC MRED would be worth it? Thanks...

Registered
    Mar 2009
    harvelous,
    You working in RE in the Bay Area now?
    I've given some thought about moving up there after USC.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    No Greenlander,
    I lived in the bay when my wife was at Cal, but now we run a real estate invest co in upstate ny that i plan to maintain while moving back to the bay in the future...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by donedeals View post
    If youre going to stay in LA, USC is a no brainer...
    No it isn't. I am from 'the other side' and did quite well in LA, thank you.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    No it isn't. I am from 'the other side' and did quite well in LA, thank you.
    You went to MIT MSRED and work in LA? I figure that would be rare.

Registered
    Dec 2008

NYU MSRE for fall 2009

Has anyone heard anything from NYU MSRE for this fall?

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Has anyone heard anything from NYU MSRE for this fall?
    I am still waiting to hear also ...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Spac3d View post
    I am still waiting to hear also ...
    Spac3d,

Did you receive an email about a week ago about your application being in review and decisions will be sent out at the end of march?

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Spac3d,

Did you receive an email about a week ago about your application being in review and decisions will be sent out at the end of march?
    Yes, I got that exact email actually, it was on 3/26/09

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Spac3d View post
    Yes, I got that exact email actually, it was on 3/26/09
    Yea I got it on the 26th as well. Lets hope it means something good. I feel like we really should have heard something no later than friday or saturday, given that they said end of march, but hopefully it will come today or tommorrow.

I will keep you posted if I get something today. If you dont mind, can you keep me posted as well?

My email is smendezfamu@gmail.com if you wanna talk offline at all.

Good luck to you.

Registered
    May 2009
    Hi Everybody,

I am trying to decide between NYU's real estate program and Georgetown's new RE program. I am interested in development with an emphasis in TODs and PPP's. Would appreciate any input

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    i am taking some part time classes at NYU before full enrollment this Fall.

So far I have been greatly impressed with the faculty and student body. The classes consist of RE lawyers, ivy MBA holders, etc. Granted, this is only from two sample classes, but needless to say, I am very excited to start in the Fall.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009
    I know this post is a little bit off point from what you guys are talking about but do all you guys have planning degrees? what can you do with getting the MSRED and a planning degree? does it make you more competitive and will you potentially make more money?

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Hey Danny,

Are you looking to stay in Florida after graduation? I have applied to NYU and Columbia, and might transition back to the florida area after graduation (if accepted of course I went to Florida A&M and studied arcchitecture, and lived in Orlando for two years before deciding to move up north.

Congratulations on your acceptance into the program.
    Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I'll be staying in Florida. The cohesive network the Florida program offers is unmatched down here, and is definitely an advantage in the SE.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Hello alxcora,

I'll be attending NYU MSRE program this fall. I read a litle bit on Georgetown's program, but not enough to speak on it. I'm also not sure, is it in their business school through their MBA program or separate all together. The reason why I ask is because if it's seperate, my suggestion would be to go with a program that has been a bit more established, not even necessarily the brand name, but mainly the amount of alumni that are still currently involved with the school would be greater, thus given you a larger pool to work with. Georgetown in itself is a great school, so I definetely wouldnt consider not applying or at least looking into it more, I'm just looking at it as far establishment and how you can network with people after graduation. If the program is new, and you might be the first class, you might be faced with being the guinea pig test group to see how the program runs, and it might be hard to find placement as well, being that its new.

Just my two cents, but both institutions are great schools. I'm excited about NYU's program, and can give you more info as I find out more about the program.

Quote Originally posted by alxcora5 View post
    Hi Everybody,

I am trying to decide between NYU's real estate program and Georgetown's new RE program. I am interested in development with an emphasis in TODs and PPP's. Would appreciate any input

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sorry

If you still have direct questions about the program, feel free to email me dirctly since I dont check this often. hops.john@yahoo.com

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1562
    Last post: 10 Jun 2014, 11:14 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Aug 2010, 10:15 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2010, 12:17 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Nov 2009, 2:00 AM
  5. Replies: 0