Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Summer program

Registered
    Mar 2009

Summer program

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to gather some firsthand insight into a variety of summer programs in architecture in Europe and in the US.

I don't have a background in architecture. I have an undergrad degree in computer science, a grad degree in business and am currently in a graphic design MFA program.

I am looking into

1) AA summer program
    2) UCL summer program
    3) Harvard GSD Career Discovery
    4) UC Berkley summer
    5) UPenn summer
    6) Columbia summer
    7) Cornell summer

I have no intention of becoming an architect. My goal is to learn the principles of architecture and systems design. I also want to do it in as hands-on manner as possible (I'd like to shy away from digital if possible) I want to understand how to think like an architect, see what architects see, etc..

Has anyone gone to these programs? What was it like? Was it worth it? What was excellent about it? What wasn't so great about it?

any insight would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

slim

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    Just out of curiosity, what are your career goals? You seem to be all over the place...an MBA...an MFA, and now Arch?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by djslim View post
    I have no intention of becoming an architect. My goal is to learn the principles of architecture and systems design. I also want to do it in as hands-on manner as possible (I'd like to shy away from digital if possible) I want to understand how to think like an architect, see what architects see, etc..
    Woah, you are all over the place with this. First, these discover programs are just very expensive pre-architecture boot camps/crash courses for prospective students with no design background to help them with their admission packets. I think you can learn more about the practice of architecture by shadowing a few architects for a day or two, especially if you don't plan on stuyding architecture.

Learning the principles of architecture, especially systems design, is a lifelong process. You can't learn it over the summer and certainly not through school alone. When you say think like an architect are you talking about the architect as historian, the architect as theorist, the architect as designer, the architect as planner, the architect as engineer, the architect as a businessman, or the starchitect (architect as celebrity) ? All of these have different thought processes, and many architects can apply several different thought processes simultaneously on projects.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jan 2013, 1:29 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Apr 2011, 7:46 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 10:04 AM
  4. Replies: 0