Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: FAFSA before being accepted?

Registered
    Jan 2009

FAFSA before being accepted?

Hey there all,

I am going for my MUP at University of Louisville in the Winter of 2010 (next Jan). I have no problem taking out Federal Loans/Grants because tuition is so low for in-state however, I have not been accepted, yet, and actually I havent even applied yet.

My question is can I fill out FAFSA before being accepted? I worry that if I wait until I apply and am accepted in late summer or fall that money for Grants/FSA will have run out! Do any of you have experience in this matter? I can apply earlier If I have to, I just didnt want to rush things.
    "Inside Joke"

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Yes, you can go ahead and complete the FAFSA. The primary purpose of the FAFSA is to determine your need and eligibility. (Need becomes somewhat irrelevant in grad school since you are not eligible for Pell grants or Perkins loans.)

In fact, in years past, the FAFSA form included lines for multiple schools, meaning that the Dept. of Ed. people fully understood that students would go through the process without having yet chosen a school.

Best wishes. I hear that Louisville's program is top notch.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Thank you kindly. So grad students arent eligible for Pell Grants? Thats a bummer. Are there other grants that I will be automatically eligible for for Grad school when filling out FAFSA? Or is it just Loans? Thanks for the responses people.
    "Inside Joke"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Jakers View post
    Thank you kindly. So grad students arent eligible for Pell Grants? Thats a bummer. Are there other grants that I will be automatically eligible for for Grad school when filling out FAFSA? Or is it just Loans? Thanks for the responses people.
    as i understand it - your best bet is to get a Graduate Assistant job which generally is a full tuition reimbursement and a stipend for room & board. obviously there is a lot of competition for those jobs. there was a thread on cyburbia somewhere that discussed some of that. i think it was in this forum.

good luck with uofl's program.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    At the graduate level of education the feds offer you loans only, you may be eligible for a work-study position as well. Grants, tuition remission, scholarships, assistantships for the most part come from the institution.

Fill out the FAFSA form as soon as your taxes are filed. Some schools take information reported on the FAFSA to determine need based aid. Double check with the school you are applying to because mid year admissions often are not considered for need/merit based aid other than what the federal loan program offers.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 18 Mar 2013, 7:40 AM
  2. FAFSA question
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Feb 2012, 6:54 PM
  3. Accepted unfunded offer
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Jul 2011, 10:23 AM