Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Car free for six months and the new 'D Drive bike'

Registered
    Dec 2005

Car free for six months and the new 'D Drive bike'

I sold my truck 6 months ago on a whim and I think it has been long enough to officially say I don't miss it at all. I started taking the bus well before I sold the truck - I only live two miles from work. Once the weather got better I started back on my bike.

I suppose about a year ago I posted looking for solutions to the greasy pant leg problem and someone mentioned the chainless bike. Well after a lot of research (and a couple of late night drinks) I ordered the Dekra D-Drive Voyager. The bike arrived this past Monday and I LOVE IT! It took a little getting used to but now I OWN the road to the office . I've put 20 miles on the bike and have had my bike oggled by the bike courriers - a great compliment. Today, I rode in with a car from start to finish and the driver was amazed and said to me at a red light that he was inspired to start riding in. The best part is my pants a grease free!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    That's awesome!

I do the dorky thing and just tuck my pants into my socks...

Registered
    May 2003
    I just went car free this month when I recently moved to Downtown Milwaukee. It has been surprisingly easy with my work almost one mile away and two large grocery stores within 4 blocks. I didn't drive much before and made a deal with my girlfriend for any car trips I need to take, I give her the gas money that I used to put in my car.

I don't miss the hassle of finding a parking spot and in winter I'll get to chuckle at all the stuck cars.

You ae braver than I am. I walk to work, but I still own a car. I try to drive at least once a week but its more like once every other week.

I salute you!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I do the dorky thing and just tuck my pants into my socks...
    I do that, too, and it's not dorky, it's a fashion statement.

Registered
    May 2005
    I've never even heard of this bike, but looking into it, I am thoroughly intrigued. And its actually not that pricey, either...

Thanks for the endorsement!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2008
    I was thinking of getting one as my personal bike. And it's not that expensive at all.

But I read reviews from some people that it took far more effort and force to ride than a normal chain-and-gears bike. They claimed that this technology isn't new at all, but the fact that it's inferior to the normal bike in terms of rider efficiency and effort make it nothing more than a novelty.

And in a pretty hilly place like Bethlehem, PA, where riding a normal bike is enough effort already, I'd rather not go through any more hassles. On the downside, I did ruin a couple of pairs of pants already with the chain grease, although they were on their last legs anyway.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    It weighs 44 pounds? I thought my $100 K-Mart mountain bike -weighing in at a portly 28 lbs.- was a pig.

Can't you buy a full chain guard to block the grease, or use less grease so there's less excess to fling off the chain?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    I do that, too, and it's not dorky, it's a fashion statement.
    In fact, walk into any bar in Portland with your right pant leg rolled up, it's nearly a mating call.

i am a bit intrigued by the chainless bike. Something tells me that it will require actually more maintenance than a chain and be somewhat more susceptible to breakage in the event of a crash, however. I'll be interested to see what people say after a year of riding the thing.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Yes, 44 lbs but the thing rides so fast. I have to carry it up the steps to my house every day - not too bad; maybe I am just used to it. I haven't tried loading it on a bus rack yet - mostly due to the fact that I'm afraid to try and use one !

I am interested to see where I am in a year as well. So far so good though. In Baltimore if you roll into a bar with a pant leg up, people think either 1) you sell drugs or 2) you're a stinky tree hugging biker of which I am guilty thinking myself.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Old thread, I know....

I started riding to work a year ago this week. At first it was just a day or two a week, now it's all the time, weather permitting. Today and tomorrow are out; I don't do thunderstorms, hail or tornadoes!

I still have my car, and I'm enjoying driving it when I do, because I think my days with a car are numbered. Once my youngest graduates high school this spring, we will be looking to move and will likely be an easier commute to work (perhaps longer but near a bike path). I can see giving up my car, buying an old, small pickup (since it seems like I only use my car to haul stuff anymore) and leave it parked outside so I can use my half of the garage as my bike shop.

At this point, I consider myself "car lite". During the three years I've owned my current car, I put on 20,000 miles, 16,000 miles, and, after starting riding my bike, 8000 miles. I only fill up once or twice a month which is nice.

The best part is that I'm not riding some high tech road machine; I ride one of three bikes to work- a 1994 Nishiki hybrid, a 1983 Raleigh road bike, or a 1966 Raleigh upright tourist. Total cost to acquire all three bikes was only $130. You can't beat that with a stick.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jkellerfsu View post
    I haven't tried loading it on a bus rack yet - mostly due to the fact that I'm afraid to try and use one !
    Sounds like you need to check out this rap video:

http://www.ridetarc.org/rider-inform...s-on-board.asp

Registered
    Dec 2005

One Year now

It has officially been one year without a car. I don't miss it. The D-drive is still working out well and no, I still haven't put my bike on the bus rack yet. Unfortunately, I haven't lost any weight? I must be drinking more beer.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Next month wil be two years car-free for me. I live pretty centrally and we have a good bus service, so most of the time it's fine, but occasionally I really, really wish I had a car, like this coming weekend - I've been invited to a holiday home about 8 hours' drive away. I could probably get a ride with others who are going, but I love driving so I'll probably get a rental for 3 days.

I have been looking to buy again, but finding just the right one (not too old, reasonable milage, good fuel efficiency, in good shape, and the right colour ) is proving somewhat challenging!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 7:04 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 12:44 PM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last post: 12 May 2004, 5:35 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Aug 2003, 5:12 PM