Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Development of transportation goals, objectives

Registered
    Nov 2008

Development of transportation goals, objectives

Dear all, i would like to know that how to develop a transportation goals, objectives to develop a strategies for metro cities..i mean what factors, issues should consider..?
    i would appreciate for ur help in dis regard..thanks

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Whenever we update our plan we try to get broad input from many constituent groups, including the general public, business community, and elected officials. We have a series of public meetings where we ask for comments and invite 'voting' for certain issues that are important.

We have various methods for ensuring that votes can be done annonomously.

From this research we look at current goals and objectives and determine what needs updating. Once we get develop the revised goals and objectives we take them to our policy boards for approval and develop the plan based upon those goals.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We are using a Citizen Advisory Committee as well as extensive public input to develop our goals, objectives and measures of effectiveness.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    hi thanks 4 da reply.what is the role of 'political will' in formulating of goals...?

Registered
    Nov 2008
    after forming the goals &objectives set, how to develop the transport measures....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Goals = overarching themes
    Objectives = more specific targets
    Measures = methods to quantify the acheivement of objectives

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We're trying to better define our measures with our upcoming plan. You do run into issues though, smaller agencies will measure things differently than larger ones. A good measure for transit may not be good for roads, what is good in the rural areas may not be good for the urban ones. This is making for some interesting meetings. Even universal measures such as crash reductions can lead to, lively discourse regarding how to measure the crashes.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2008

how to assess the developed traffic management measures!!!

hi..finally somehow i could manage to develop the traffic managemnet measures keeping in view of acheiving the objectives&goals which i thought initially...

What are the metodolgies available in assessment of the measures and their limitations.. i Have some transport and traffic data...Is there any softwares can be used for this... or any other tools like Analytical hierarchy process (AHP)..????

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Some measures involve what we call Levels of Service (LOS). In the North American auto focused areana some goals might be to maintain a LOS of "D" or better on collector roadways. LOS can be measured precisely with programs such as ArtPlan. This requires expert knowledge. The Florida Department of Transportation has prepared a series of tables for various LOS. Google their website and look for the Quality/Level of service Handbook.

It has LOS evalutation techniques for hioghway, pedestrian, bicycle and transit.

Another measure increasingly important due to climate change is a reduction in vehicle miles of travel (VMT). VMT is typically quantified by running transportation planning models. These models are complex and require massive amounts of data. You can play "what if" with these models, but to my knowledge, none really do a good job of handling transit or alternative modes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Aug 2013, 2:24 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Sep 2009, 1:50 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2007, 7:02 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 12 Feb 2004, 1:09 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Mar 1998, 6:55 PM