Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP certification maintenance woes -- anybody else?

Registered
    Feb 2003

AICP certification maintenance woes -- anybody else?

I've been a proud APA member for a long time and out of college and with professioanl experience all bright-eyed and bushy tailed happily took the AICP exam and passed.

My enthusiasm is waning badly for APA as an organization and AICP certification maintenance.

My story and maybe yours too:

Email 1 - 09/05/08: Me to AICP asking why 2 courses weren’t listed for a regional conference.

Response to Email 1 – 10/13/08: Thank you for contacting APA. we apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. Your event has been approved for CM credits. At the time that you originally emailed, we were in the process of reviewing the event. Please note: we have been experiencing a few technical errors with the new website. The law and ethics credits have not been calculating and we are currently working to resolve that issue. Please allow us a little more time to correct it before attempting to re-log those courses. Thank you for your continued patience.

Email 2 – 01/20/09: A little more terse in my verbiage, but asking why 6 courses have not been approved for CM credit. One of which is a multi-part.

Response to Email 2 – 1/27/09: Thank you for contacting APA. We apologize for the delayed response. The new provider site is now available online. Your chapter may begin submitting activities to us for review and approve. I have researched the events noted below and was unable to find them. It appears that they have not been submitted to us prior to the construction of the website. If this is a mistake on our part, please have your PDO or Chapter Admin contact me directly. I cannot provide a firm deadline for when these events will be posted. They must first be submitted, reviewed and approved for CM credits. They will then be posted to the Calendar. We asked that you allow us a maximum of three weeks prior to searching for your event on the member website. We realize many providers would like to use the website for marketing purposes prior to the event and we apologize for the inconvenience. However, this benefit will return as we all regain our normal routine. Thank you for your feedback and patience as we continue to work on any unresolved issues.

NOTE: I made contact with our chapter PDO, apparently, APA was not accepting CM credit applications from October of last year to January of this year. I not knowingly had been asking APA questions when they couldn't be answered. But I know now that they have been submitted and yet...

Email 3 – 3/6/09: After waiting the maximum of 3 weeks, I am now asking why 8 courses are not listed on the APA AICP CM credit website.

So folks, what would you do?

TIA.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

I've been asking for several years...

How to claim CM for preparing sessions delivered at APA state and national conferences...I've done so for several years now, and they keep telling me that the functionality will be added soon to the CM website -- and that's been going on since BEFORE the CM system was changed to the new requirements...

RES
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yeah, APA national is pretty much a cluster_____ on the CM website. From what I understand, they pretty much gutted the system they started with initially and did not provide adequate staffing for review.

Our chapter section recently had an event approved in 8 days. They are telling our section to give about three weeks lead time. That said, we have an event that was approved, but it is not showing up correctly on the website for people to add to their log. Three emails, and our section CM coordinator has not heard an explanation.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    What I like is when you get a flyer or an e-mail about a course from the provider then look for it on the CM website, only to discover it is never there. Then when you e-mail APA about it you get no response, or a response that is similar to above (blaming the provider).

When are they going to realize that does us no good? We're not the provider, we are only looking to take the courses!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    What I like is when you get a flyer or an e-mail about a course from the provider then look for it on the CM website, only to discover it is never there. Then when you e-mail APA about it you get no response, or a response that is similar to above (blaming the provider).

When are they going to realize that does us no good? We're not the provider, we are only looking to take the courses!
    They are so unreliable with timely approvals that we've been giving people receipts with a note that we will email them with a link to the APA site once they get their act together to approve it, often listing the date it was submitted for approval. Of course, we are also one of the few sections that has been openly critical of APA National; others may not be comfortable throwing them under the bus like we do.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank you!

I really appreciate this posting because I've been considering whether or not to go ahead with AICP certification. I'm also an AIA member, which also has CM requirements that are annoying, and that I'm still trying to get used to.

The hassle, along with the dollars involved with AICP and APA, all make me think twice about taking on this expensive credential. Thanks for the stories, folks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jan 2008, 5:21 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 31 Aug 2007, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 9:48 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 May 2007, 11:05 AM
  5. AICP Certification...
    Make No Small Plans