An·glo·phile
    Pronunciation: aŋ-glə-fī(-ə)l
    Variant(s): also An·glo·phil
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French, from anglo- + -phile
    Date: 1883
    : a person who greatly admires or favors England and things English
    — Anglophile or An·glo·phil·ic; adjective
    I fear at lunch time that we've irrevocably sent poor Junior down the path to becoming a hopeless anglophile! Sure, being in close proximity to his old man means he's had exposure to the Beatles, the Who, Cream, and Pink Floyd since the day he came home from the hospital, and yes he has had more than his fair share of exposure to stories by Beatrix Potter (Peter Rabbit) and A. A. Milne (Pooh).

What really put him over the edge, though, in the last hour was the arrival of the "Fireman Sam" videos. I think HIT Entertainment is secretly conspiring to turn all American toddlers into miniature anglophiles. Between Thomas the Train, Bob the Builder, and now Fireman Sam, it's no wonder that the answer to the daily question 'how was pre-school today?' is inevitably 'Bugger off, Mum!'

His future is looking more bleak with each passing day, and it is only a matter of time before he comes into contact with the likes of Harry Potter, Monty Python or James Bond! Is there yet hope for him? Could we perhaps send him to some sort of treatment facility far away from his parents where he'd be fed a diet of fried okra, hot dogs, and Coke? Maybe where each room has Hank Williams piped in, and reruns of Beverly Hillbillies, M*A*S*H and NASCAR are on every tv (what a struggle not to say 'telly')? Is a cure (not 'The Cure' mind you) available?

You ever stop and think of how many English cultural influences we absorb in our lives every day? (you'd almost swear this country descended from England!)
    Last edited by Maister; 10 Mar 2009 at 1:25 PM. Reason: added Cure joke

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The only cure is found in Teletubbies. He will see the babyfaced sun and totally freak-out and want nothing to do with the brits.

Another alternative is U-2. Buy him some Bono glasses.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    My husband's from Glasgow, so in our anglophobic household, we root for anyone who plays against England.

That said, yes....preschool TV is pack full of Anglo shows (also Canadian stuff....they are stealthy those Canadians). TTTE was extremely fascinating for my son when he was 2.5-3 -- although there was always some accident in the show that scared him to death (bridge falling, train wreck...etc.). I also found there was a strange emphasis on "being useful." It's not enough to be a train and do your job....you're to do it cheerfully and be helpful to everyone. And also the weird Mr. Tophat and his scolding of the trains - I think there must be PH.D. dissertations on the relationship between Tophat and his engines of commerce.

Little boy Southside was also really into all of those shows you mention, until he found out about Transformers and Star Wars.

Most of the English shows don't have many female characters and if they do, they are "supporting roles". That bugs me. I notice that my daughters show no interest in those Anglo shows and instead are quite interested in Dora and Diego -- hispanic friends who go on adventures and female characters play very strongly in those shows.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Any country that gave the world Kate Winslet is okay in my book.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    Most of the English shows don't have many female characters and if they do, they are "supporting roles".
    I thought that as well, but upon further investigation it appears HIT entertainment (their CEO was the former head cheese of the BBC) is making inroads there too with their 'Angelina the Ballerina' and 'Fifi and the Flower Tots' shows. I fear they are going to purchase the rights to Barbie next and repackage her as 'Gwendolyn' or 'Beatrice'!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Emma Peel
    Dick Francis

Someone in my bike club posted a link to the classic Python video "Bicycle RepairMan" last week.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    ... posted a link to the classic Python video "Bicycle RepairMan" .
    Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01xasUtlvw
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mr. Floyd, Mr. Phython, Mr. Bean along with several others have been influencial in my life, as they will for Wee P. She is just starting to playing a little game called football that is played with a round ball which you can't touch with your hands.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat

Oh, and don't forget:

Underground, overground, Wombling Free, the Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we

*sigh*, good times, good times.

Registered
    May 2002
    Little Coragus was stuck on most of the shows listed until we moved somewhere where we get Noggin. Watch a few episodes of the Wonderpets, Diego, and Dora and count your blessings that your kids are watching Bob, Thomas, and Sam.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Little Coragus was stuck on most of the shows listed until we moved somewhere where we get Noggin. Watch a few episodes of the Wonderpets, Diego, and Dora and count your blessings that your kids are watching Bob, Thomas, and Sam.
    C'mon dude. What's wrong with a hamster in a cape???

What's gonna work?!? Teamwork!!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Anglophile

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    .... Is a cure .... available?....
    A few minutes around Amy Winehouse?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My kid was hooked on Dudley the Dragon, but I think that was Canadian. Other than that, he was firmly in the U.S. of A. toddler show camp.

Then came Harry Potter (which we both love but RJ does not understand or appreciate....)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Is a cure (not 'The Cure' mind you) available?
    No cure but regular application of an anglo-file can keep it under control. Not rough or coarse but it has to be a bastard to be effective.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Map Nerd Alert
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Nov 2013, 11:02 AM