Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone else tired of "All depression, all the time" news coverage?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Anyone else tired of "All depression, all the time" news coverage?

Seriously, I can't watch CNN or any news channel, or watch a news broadcast for more than a couple of minutes without hearing doom-and-gloom news about the economy, It's not that I don't want to hear about it, but when I've been trying to sell a house for more than four months with no interested buyers, I really don't need to be reminded of the sad state of the economy ALL. THE. FCUKING. TIME.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Agreed.
    So which of the three levels (local, network and cable) of news are worse ?
    Some of the commentary shows are just as bad.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I find it to be a refreshing change from the "All election, all the time" news coverage.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Granted, it's the current media obession, but I feel the depression is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Right now the media is obessed by it because they can reduce into simple terms, it preys upon people's fears, there are clear bad guys, and plenty of human interest stories behind it. I just hope the media uses it's powers to both help people and spur some needed changes. Then again, I hope the Cubs will win the world series every year too.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Try the morning news shows. Well, at least GMA. They always have some funny/uplifting news stories. Even here locally. Like the guy this weekend who broke out of jail to steal cigarettes and got caught breaking back into jail; you gotta love it.

News always has to do the dire stuff dramatically. I'm looking for work and can't find it! But I'm not going to let the news freak me out.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Yes very tired of it. I've noticed it creeping into most conversations too. Sure it's topical, but how about some GOOD news??!!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    zg is right the local morning news shows ( good day sacramento, etc) are funny and report some of the bad news but keep things light for the most part. if all else fails, there is always TMZ.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    One of our local news programs "Project Economy", which to me implies their ownership of the economy. I can't figure out if they caused economic problems, or if they are working on a solution...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I don't watch TV news its all been crap for more years than I care to think.

I read a couple of papers online and catch the top of the hour news on the local all news radio station. A small dose is all I need to be sure aliens have not invaded or some such.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2002

news

Yeah, it's depressing.
    WALSTIB

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've been using GMA as a bit of a refuge, like ZG mentioned. They'll pay the economy a 5-minute blurb, but go onto happier stuff, like does the Tide stain pen really work, interviews with famous folks, etc. It's my background noise while I get ready in the morning.

Jim Leher over on PBS hasn't been as prone to the economy gloom & doom as others, but you're right; it's been difficult to escape.

I think Whose Yur Planner hit the nail on the head... the media has a trifecta with the economy as far as favorite subject matters:
    • ability to prey on people's fears (similar to the obcessions they get with shark attacks, etc.)
    • clearly identified bad guys that are easy targets
    • tons of human interest stories for those viewers that want to "feel" the news

It's no wonder they don't want to let go.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Picking up on the easily identified bad guys idea. America has had a strong populist undercurrent to it. The current depression plays well to this populism idea. Its the rich bankers and corporate types that caused the current mess, not joe citizen whose economic eyes got bigger than his tummy. The media can run with stories about corporate retreats to Vegas, spas and the such. Further, the salaries and bonuses of the executives also make for good, populist press. Personally, I think all this media exposure can lead to some much needed reforms. However, we need to be careful with our reformist zeal, that we don't go so far as to kill the spirit of capitalism and entrepenurism that has been a very positive driving force in this county.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I don't have television service, neither local stations nor cable/satellite. So, I don't have much opportunity to just sit on a news channel and watch whatever they show. I pretty much stick to the websites, and the occasional printed newspaper. I just filter out a lot of that.

For years, it has bothered me how much of the "news" isn't news. It isn't important to me and my life, it isn't interesting, it isn't new. So much of what I saw back when I was a newshound was just chatter, noise, opinion, hyper-analysis, and non-sense. Sounds like now it is all panic and anxiety. When there is something important, or at least interesting, I'll read it or watch it. Otherwise, Mr. and Mrs. Media, I'll pass.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"The Bachelor" or The Economy?

For me it's a toss-up. Do I want to read economic gloom and doom, or YET ANOTHER article about "The Bachelor" dumping Choice #1 in favor of hometown girl Molly who moved to Milwaukee a couple years ago???

almost make me wish for the return of Kwame Kilpatrick

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I think Whose Yur Planner hit the nail on the head... the media has a trifecta with the economy as far as favorite subject matters:
    • ability to prey on people's fears (similar to the obcessions they get with shark attacks, etc.)
    • clearly identified bad guys that are easy targets
    • tons of human interest stories for those viewers that want to "feel" the news

It's no wonder they don't want to let go.
    I would add something about the media's obsession with missing children, murderous moms (and/or spouses), and the octoplets (Nadia whatshername). I understand the need to publicize the issue of missing kids, but the news programs, particularly the morning programs, spend far too much reporting on stuff that's more soap opera than news.

Regarding the coverage of the economy, I am getting tired of hearing the so-called milestones - e.g., "the Dow hasn't declined by this many points since March 1992," or "this is the first time the economy has sucked this bad in 22 years," etc. I have to wonder how much the "all depressing, all the time" news coverage influences these conditions.

Surely there are other things going on in the world that the news media can talk about!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    When did Fox News's stories all become ripped from the headlines of the National Enquirer? I know it's Fox News and whether or not it's "fair and balanced," what is up with their stories? Every time I turn it on, it's like "woman gives birth to squirrel baby" or "pregnant teen gives birth at prom and sells baby in vending machine." I try to avoid all the news networks because they're so irritating, but this was on at the gym last week and I was kind of surprised.

At least woman giving birth to squirrel isn't depressing.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Being in the vast army of the unemployed, for the first time, I now spend a few hours each day on my advocacy of automation of the public sector. It helps that e-records for health care is in the news, but for things like automated transit, or e-learning, the nation must first be up against the wall.

Much like planning, change comes with crisis, and short-term gain comes from being fat and happy.

I give a long recession a 10 out of 10.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I don't watch the TV news and I hate the morning show fluff.

I just exist.

I guess I will add that there is so much news coverage out there, bombardment of bad news, that I have been better since enlisting my "information diet".

...now off to read Kunstler's blog.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I don't even watch TV and I'm burning out on the bad news. There's no escaping it because even if I didn't catch such-and-such report on how much everything sucks, no doubt a friend or co-worker will fill me in on the latest suckage. It's bad for one's mental health to be taking in so much negativity on a daily basis.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I get the feeling that folks in Michigan have become pretty numb to this sort of thing. You have to remember we've been in a depression for nearly a decade.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Like PG, I have paid very little attention to the news for some years now. Most stuff billed as "news" is negative or sensationalist. Listening to the latest real life soap opera for my town or my country or the world doesn't enhance my life, tell me anything useful about what I need to do next to resolve my problems, etc. To some extent, hearing how bad off other people are helps me feel less frustrated with my own problems -- but I don't need to watch or listen to the news to get that. I belong to a number of health related email lists. Most people with cystic fibrosis are suffering far more than I am and have no hope of getting well or resolving the financial problems that grow out of being chronically ill. I am getting well and my son is well. I still have a job. My financial situation is gradually improving. When I get in a funk, my two sons remind me that getting well isn't supposed to be possible and our problems are minor compared to what they should be, even the financial part of it.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 09 Mar 2009 at 12:40 PM.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    That's why I watch Fox News, because even though most of the time they focus on the economy, they do stupid little odd, offbeat news and entertainment stories very frequently in between the neverending story about the economy. And plus, they got some lookers on there...Megyn Kelly, Julie Banderas, etc.

But even a news and political junkie like me has to shut it off sometimes.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The depressing news features and the non-stop depression drug ads must make a winning one-two punch!

Where does depression hurt? Everywhere.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

We finally took drastic measures

I got sick of it all too...we cut the cable, and got Netflix and ROKU...now ROKU has a deal with Amazon.com...besides the free streaming stuff, and the dvds sent to your door, there's now content to stream on a pay per view basis...

Also, the netflix/ROKU thing costs me less than $15 a month -- cable was in the $75 a month range...

We cut the phone cord, bought magicjack and are using that...$40 for the first year ($20 is for the equipment), $20 a year after that -- free unlimited local AND long distance calls... for $20 a year...

I also quit the local paper...

We listen to the radio, and we pick what we want to watch. We get lost of good stuff from the library too...Google brings me all the news I can stand (including local)...and even then it's all doom and gloom...
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I dont have cable but I still see all of the negative news
    However now we have the detroit city council at it again, they are better then any comedy show
    Best entertainment around
    So there is a bright spot in the news if you live in a Detroit suburb and have a sense of humor,
    unless of course you live in Detroit and dont have a sense of humor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Dec 2013, 10:59 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Sep 2013, 5:38 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Jul 2008, 4:14 PM