Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dryvit/stucco help - need ideas!

Dryvit/stucco help - need ideas!

I know this is an old post, but hoping some in here see it.

My house in mainly Dryvit I think here in PA. In PA this is a newer fad and many upper end homes are doing this look. For the past 20 years they were brick, etc, but now all the newer developments are Dryvit/stucco, etc.

I want to replace the Vinyl Siding on the garage side and make it match the rest of the house. I hate the siding, and this is the side that everyone sees from the road or when they pull up.

I need some suggestions on the detail work. Like above the garage doors? Would it look good to put the half moon with keystones above them? I had one contractor out that said it would look best to keep it consistent with the rest of the house.

www.burtmanindustries.com/dryvit/1

Any help here or anyone that can photoshop?

Moderator note:
    (Gedunker) Please do not leach images. Use an image-hosting service such as imageshack or photobucket. Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Dryvit -> Vinyl
    Vinyl -> Dryvit

Not much difference. Dryvit is cheap plastic stucco, vinyl is cheap plastic lap siding. The generic name for Dryvit is EFIS -- Exterior Insulation Finish System

Ripping off the vinyl and installing EFIS shouldn't be much of a problem, you ought to be able to find the EFIS finish coat off-the-shelf, so the color matches. It would be an expensive transition, but it you want it to look the same, that's you're only alternative.

The foam plastic base is part of the EFIS system, so it has to be installed. Sort of a waste on a garage, but there you are.

In commercial districts our city allows EFIS as a trim -- max 15% of any wall surface (together with metal, wood, plastic) -- mostly because it can be worked and shaped into design elements a lot easier and cheaper than wood or stucco. Using it as a wall surface, well, that's prohibited.

I've always been told that the success of EFIS depends on the quality of the installation. I've concluded that nobody knows how to install it.
    Blogging: Never have so many with so little to say said so much to so few.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    we frequently have a keystone effect with a lot of our dryvit installs. unless your doors are half-moon or you have a similar detail everywhere else i would go for a straight lintel with a keystone. depending on your house, you could also go for a clean edge and not have any detailing for that "modern" look.

These images are hosted on MY server, not sure why the mod deleted it. Here is my garage now:

I messed with photoshop here:

I kinda like the way this looks... I had a few contractors out and had one guy that could do stucco with metal behind it, he said he could match the pattern on the Dryvit and it would be much sturdier on a garage...?

Registered
    Jun 2002
    I think pictures would help you get decent responses.

Guys, I've tried to post pictures 3 times now. I have my OWN server, and everytime I try to post them images they get deleted. This is my personal server that I own and run, what's happening?

Registered
    Oct 2006
    I like the stucco better than the vinyl siding. Can you continue the stone around to that side of the house as well? As for the arch and keystone detail... I think it's only appropriate over the door to the house. I'm not a fan of how it looks over the garage. It's not really proportionate. Maybe keep it simple and just use a molding around the garage door that will compliment the windows.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Jason: sorry about that. It's not too often when we see someone posting images using their own hosting space. Thanks for clearing it up.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2009
    i would wrap the stone and the sill all the way around and instead of the eyebrow either leave it plain or make a straight lintel with a keystone over the garage doors.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    you could also go for the corrugated metal approach

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A few ideas I have
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Sep 2013, 6:28 PM
  2. Reason for banning Dryvit
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 55