Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Climate change & environmental impact assessment

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006

Climate change & environmental impact assessment

Dear Cyburbians,

As part of my thesis and graduate research, I'm working on a study commissioned by the State of Hawaii to examine best practices related to climate change and Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA). I would appreciate it if you would take a few minutes to follow the link below to fill out a survey. This is meant to survey professional opinion on whether and how project-level environmental impact assessments should address climate change mitigation and adaptation. Please answer each of the questions to the best of your knowledge. All of your responses will remain anonymous. A summary of the findings will be made available to survey participants who provide contact information.

Survey

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you could please forward this to other relevant individuals you may know. If you have any questions about the project, please contact me at sjglenn@hawaii.edu or visit the website Climate Change & EIA.

Thank you very much,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scotch; 16 Mar 2009 at 9:33 PM.

Program at Manoa

Hey Scott:

Sounds like an awesome project. Are you from Hawai'i? I am going to be attending either USC or UCI this fall with my interests running in coastal resilience planning, coastal community adaptation to climatic change.

Do you like the MURP at Manoa? Did you apply to other schools? I almost applied to UH as I have many friends on the islands and have traveled there many many times.

Thanks

Sanne

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Hi Sanne,

Thanks for responding.

I'm not from Hawaii (KY/IN actually), but love it out here. I do like the MURP program and chose it after being accepted to all six schools I applied to (including Ivy League). HI is getting its act together fast on climate change, coastal resiliency, etc. Have you seen this?

Coastal Community Resiliency Guide

It was written by NOAA and planners based here in HI. It's a great resource that is being used throughout the Pacific Basin to develop coastal community mitigation/adaptation policies. Also, Maui and Kauai Counties are the only two places in the world that have science-based coastal setbacks. I don't remember the equation offhand, but it's something like 40x the rate of erosion + 100 ft.

Coastal adaptation / resilience work

Yes, I have seen that. It's a great publication. I almost went to UH just because they are so far advanced (have to be!) in their coastal adaptation work. Very cool info on Maui and Kaua'i. I seem to be leaning toward USC due to their connectedness with NOAA and they are really great (so it seems) about letting one build one's own program. I hope to do a relevant semester abroad. Maybe I can even find grant money for that!
    Anyway, I look forward to following your work there and I'd love to see your work product when you are done!

best
    sanne
    Last edited by h22003; 20 Mar 2009 at 3:58 PM. Reason: edit...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Social impact assessment
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Sep 2013, 10:59 AM
  2. GIS GIS / climate change
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Oct 2010, 3:49 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Sep 2010, 2:44 PM