Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Forces affecting cities in 2025

Registered
    Mar 2009

Forces affecting cities in 2025

Hi everyone,
    I am doing a project looking at forces [the project includes such topics as technology, demographics, land use, etc] that will be affecting military bases in 2025. Can any of you recommend any books/articles/sites that address what changes we can expect of future cities.

thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

Sustainable Military Bases and Cities

In doing my own research for resources in Illinois who could help evaluate my idea of the micropolitan city of Macomb, IL as a location for a model sustainable city, I found the following professional who may have some expertise related to your query. Dr. Brian Deal at the University of Illinois Department of Urban and Regional Planning has experience related to the sustainability of both military bases and of cities.

http://www.urban.uiuc.edu/faculty/deal/

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Machwing, Thanks very much. A few of the papers he did for the Engineering Research and Technical Center look pretty good.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    You're welcome. I'm glad you found a few of these sources to be helpful.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    The Urban Design Group quarterly journal that I subscribe to did a special 100th edition in 2006 where a number of planning and urban design professionals wrote articles on the issues that they felt were likely to affect cities in 2031 (or thereabout).

A few of the articles have a decidely British flavour so this may not be exactly what you are looking for but there maybe something you will find of use in there so:

http://www.udg.org.uk/?document_id=599&year=2006

(pdf download top left of the page)

Hope this helps.

Registered
    Aug 2008

Forces affecting military bases?

By 2025 some say that military activity will be the only "gross product" we create, nationally speaking.

By that time the military may well have replaced the police, after all the municipalities have gone broke and the military has to step in to maintain order, and such order will not be obediently kept, according to some.

Do you have a grant to do this study from some "think tank"?

Forgot to include references. Don't have the websites, but Google up James Kuntsler, for one, and Chris Hedges for another.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 15 Apr 2009 at 1:02 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Huw, Thanks. Really great link.

fringe, thanks for those references as well. Kuntsler certainly has some interesting and unique viewpoints. I work at a think tank, but this request actually came from a colleague who is doing some pro bono work for one of the military departments.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009

BRAC

I would look into the BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) changes that are happening right now as well. Military bases are being shut down, expanded, or reconfigured all over the U.S., and the way that they will be configured in the future could have an effect here (e.g., will military bases be refocused toward the warm-weather south?)

Just google up "BRAC" and you'll find a heck of a lot on it. Just something to keep in mind if you're studying anything that has to do with military bases.

-GP

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Nov 2010, 10:06 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 04 Oct 2004, 11:17 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Apr 2004, 4:45 AM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last post: 28 Feb 2004, 11:20 PM
  5. America's Fighting Forces