Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pet waste disposal stations

Registered
    Aug 2005

Pet waste disposal stations

We're having some issues with greenway users leaving their pet waste along the trail. We're thinking of purchasing some Pet Waste Disposal Stations.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are welcome.

There are more factors involved than one might think. Style, components, installation, maintenance.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    ...purchasing some Pet Waste Disposal Stations.
    You mean "garbage cans"?

I think you can get some nice "garbage cans" from Bed Bath and Beyond for about $30.

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2005
    I like Mendelman's response...

But, there are some systems I have seen advertised for homes that involve a hole in the ground and a nicely configured, open-able cover. The pit the waste is tossed into also uses a particular enzyme that makes the waste not dangerous should it leach into the aquifer.

I saw a couple at this site, but maybe there are more municipal-type models available elsewhere. They essentially work like a septic tank: http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produc...og&dept_id=746

The issue of pet waste disposal can also be addressed by having STOCKED stations with baggies and also cheap, old fashioned trash cans available at convenient intervals. Signage helps, too. I think a lot of this stuff is user education oriented as well (as with any waste disposal)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I haven't done thismyself, but I saw a demo of a homemade one that was essentially a garbage cand with the bottom cut out that was burriedso that it just stuck up a couple of inches above the ground. You drop the poop in and every so often sprinkle a little quickline over it. Very little effort to maintain. Might want to throw in a little water from time to time to move decomposition along?

For a public operation, I think you would have to have a can that had a lid that was opened by stepping on a peddle. Otherwise I think the cover would quickly walk off and the use would be inhibited because many people would not want to stoop down to open it.

How much do commercial units run? Anything that requires taking out the contents should be avoided?

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    We're having some issues with greenway users leaving their pet waste along the trail. We're thinking of purchasing some Pet Waste Disposal Stations.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are welcome.
    Our back fence separates us from the greenway. Our Metro District installed nice looking cans with a pewp plastic bag dispenser. Sure, there is the expected percentage of people who won't use them, but overall the participation rate is good and the random pile frequency has decreased markedly. And they look pretty good.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Waste incineration
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 2:02 PM
  2. Dryer Lint Disposal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 03 Aug 2007, 5:31 PM
  3. Siting sewage disposal systems
    Land Use and Zoning