Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Died Too Young

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Died Too Young

The recent death of Natasha Richardson jump-started a thought......how about a thread where we discuss and/or just mention those who were way too young when death knocked at their door. This Bear will start.....

Natasha Richardson
    Christopher Reeve
    George Reeves
    John Lennon
    The Big Bopper
    Buddy Holly
    Richie Valens
    John Cazale
    Terry Kath
    Janis Joplin
    Jimi Hendrix
    Ryan White
    Marilyn Monroe
    James Dean
    _____

On a personal level, my cousin, Kathleen, died at about 11 years of age (and I was about 13). We were close.

My best friend (Tom) in junior high school, drowned.

My dad's beautiful secretary, Marlene, died in a horrific car crash.
    _____

When death grabs those that are young your mind fills with doubt. It seems so unfair.
    _____

What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    The recent death of Natasha Richardson jump-started a thought......how about a thread where we discuss and/or just mention those who were way too young when death knocked at their door. This Bear will start.....

_____

On a personal level, my cousin, Kathleen, died at about 11 years of age (and I was about 13). We were close.

My best friend (Tom) in junior high school, drowned.

My dad's beautiful secretary, Marlene, died in a horrific car crash.
    _____

When death grabs those that are young your mind fills with doubt. It seems so unfair.
    _____

What say you?

Bear
    Nobody famous. My sister died 2 weeks after her 25th birthday. She would have been 52 now. One of her good buddies died a few weeks ago, and another this past Saturday. While emailing my oldest friend about the latest death, I remembered 3 of my sister's best friends from middle and high school died between the ages of 15 and 30 (broken neck diving into a lake, car accident, and plane crash). It just seems really odd so many of her best friends have died.

I can only think of 2 friends I've lost, both in their 40's.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    My Father at 51. I was only 14. Yes too young.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    I think the title of this thread should be "Died Young" instead of "Died Too Young". Based on the lifestyles of some of the people mentioned by Bear, they probably died right about when they should have.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    A close friend in middle school took her own life at 14. She was pregnant and thought her life was over... couldn't even tell her parents.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Judy Garland
    Kurt Cobain

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Some that come to mind:
    Kurt Cobain
    Layne Staley
    Anna Nicole Smith
    Heath Ledger
    Bruce Lee
    Brandon Lee
    River Phoenix
    Bon Scott
    Randy Rhoads
    John Belushi
    Chris Farley
    Jim Morrison
    Ronnie Van Zandt
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Keith Moon
    Steve Clark
    John Bonham
    Cliff Burton

Oh, and how can we forget...JFK, RFK, and MLK

Personally, an aquaintence of mine died in a car crash shortly after high school graduation. And two of my friends' friends just died this week...one of suicide and one in military combat.

Also, my aunt died in her mid-60s and my one grandpa died in his early 70s. While both had chronic diseases, their deaths were nonetheless sudden and happened rather quickly, and both seemed to have had so much yet to enjoy in life. My aunt barely got to enjoy retirement and my grandpa couldn't see his grandkids get married and start families and the like.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I think the title of this thread should be "Died Young" instead of "Died Too Young". Based on the lifestyles of some of the people mentioned by Bear, they probably died right about when they should have.
    I don't know about that. There are only 3 or 4 people on that list in the "lived fast, died young" category.

Friends and family who died too young:
    - My dad - he was 38. I was 7 years old at the time.
    - An acquaintance in his early 30s when he was stabbed and left to die by muggers in a local park
    - A high school friend died in a car crash in her 20s, leaving behind a young son
    - Musician Chris Whitley

I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now...

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My dad has had way too many people in his life die too young, including his dad (who I believe was 33 when he died - degenerative war injury), his sister (who I believe was 27 when she died - suicide) and his best friend (who was about 45 when he died - boating accident).

A high school acquantance of mine died of cancer at age 20. Reading her obit made me really sorry I didn't know her better... she was an amazing person.

Only 2 people from my graduating class have died since we graduated 14 years ago. I think that is probably a small number, when we are talking about a class of over 300 people. Both were in accidents involving vehicles.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The Two Daves - friends of mine from high school - Dave 1 died a few years ago and Dave 2 died in 2008. I miss them still.

Many of you have already mentioned the people I would have mentioned.

Natasha Richardson's death has been on my mind. I had only seen maybe a movie or two she was in. I knew who she was, who she was married to, and her acting pedigree. But I didn't know much more. She died too young - only slightly past what would be the first half of her life. Her death by what, at first, seemed like a minor fall is tragic. Made me thing back of a couple years ago when, on my way to lunch, I tripped and smashed head-first into a door frame. That could easily have been my fate.

The death of a seemingly nice person by a fluke accident seems more tragic than a death by violence or drug overdose, or at least it does to me.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002

Too young

WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Could probably think of some sports figures thought to have died too young. Roberto Clemente
    A few NASCAR & Indy Car drivers like Scott Brayton, Alan Kulwicki, and Adam Petty
    Drazen Petrovic
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Thanks Tom R for that link. I would also add Afghanistan casualties as well.

I can't think of any famous people to add to the list, but I've got family and friends.
    • Best friend's brother died at 22 of a brain tumor
    • My mom died at 56 from breast cancer
    • Both my wife's parents died before 60
    • One of my best friends (Ugandan) lost his younger brother to a conflict in northern Uganda. He was abducted and then killed by a rebel group when trying to escape. He was 12.
    • I have lost a number of Ugandan friends, largely to AIDS. Many of them were my peers or younger.

Wow, I feel more cheery already...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I belong to a number of lists and forums for Cystic Fibrosis. Deaths of young people are announced very regularly, usually with expressions along the lines of "Another CF Angel". Plenty of children die. Anyone over the age of 30 is considered "old" and may have already retired on disability. Birthdays are celebrated on CF lists with a genuineness and unabashed joy that I haven't seen equaled elsewhere. It has made me less than thrilled to attend birthday "celebrations" elsewhere, which are usually rife with complaints about how old one is getting, like that's a bad thing.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Could probably think of some sports figures thought to have died too young. Roberto Clemente
    A few NASCAR & Indy Car drivers like Scott Brayton, Alan Kulwicki, and Adam Petty
    Drazen Petrovic
    A few more auto racing drivers that I would add include Eddie Sachs, Dave MacDonald, Swede Savage and Ayrton Senna. There are many others.

As for the entertainment biz, how different would it be today had Richie Valens (only 17YO), the Big Bopper and Buddy Holly decided to wait out that snowstorm?

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Jim Croce was the first "entertainer" that I was devistated about.

Personally,
    A brother in law from AIDS
    2 really close friends with cancer
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Only the Good...I know that sounds trite but we really don't miss the others and the whole concept of people dying too young is really usually more about us than them.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Country music legends Hank Williams Sr (age 29) and Patsy Cline (in her 30s IIRC) in a plane crash.

My mother died at 47 when I was 21, and my brothers were 18 and 10.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Only the Good...I know that sounds trite but we really don't miss the others and the whole concept of people dying too young is really usually more about us than them.
    Finally.....someone agrees with my earlier post.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    President John F. Kennedy
    Robert F. Kennedy
    John Kennedy Jr.
    My dad

Abe Vigoda...oh wait. Never mind.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Finally.....someone agrees with my earlier post.
    Off-topic:
    I'll try not to let that happen again.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Day The Music Died
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 19 Sep 2010, 12:23 AM
  2. Denver planner Karle Seydel died
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 3