Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Master plans and urban design techniques / guidelines

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Master plans and urban design techniques / guidelines

I'm an undergrad student in urban planning, completing my thesis.
    My project is a comprehensive master plan for the eastern part of the Quartier des Spectacles in Montreal, and maybe including the whole district. (no matter if you don't see where or what it is.) In a sense its an area that is runned down and that is located between 2 areas that have seen major redevelopment (I want to connect the two by redeveloping my area). Quartier des spectacles is Montreal's "prestigious" entertainment district

I'm trying to do a professional project that would bother present a comprehensive master plan and UD guidelines and possible examples (playing the role of the developer). I've talked to some professional planners and if the city likes it, I might even do a presentation down city hall

Why I have learned a lot about master plans and UD in school I haven't been able to find good professional examples or books that would point towards good practices, approaches for the site analysis, standards for the concept and UD plans, ect.
    My supervisor says that most of the stuff will be learned this year in my UD lab and is rarely put on paper by professionals or scholars, but I need to get this info now. Understanding what I need to do in December won't help me when my thesis is due in March. I've been searching for over 3 weeks. And while I have some good sources they are mostly texts or not adequate. I'm not someone that doesn't know anything either, I've been doing this for 2 years, but I'm tired of learning as I go.

So I was hoping, you guys could either point towards books that deal specifically with master planning (research, analysis, concepts, design, ect. ) and urban design
    or even a good website that could help me out.
    And maybe some interesting case studies that have well documented master plans available.
    Last edited by JeromeRaymond; 21 Aug 2009 at 8:03 PM.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    And you are in college? Sorry for the slam, but what have they taught you, and what have you learned?

Now that my cynicism is out of the way: you have to narrow the scope of your project to something manageable. An entire consulting firm would have trouble meeting your aspirations with that deadline. Pick one or two aspects of the needs that grab you. AND, talk with your thesis advisors. Please.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I haven't narrowed my project yet.

I actually talked to my thesis supervisor yesterday and he encouraged me in the direction I am going but recommended precisely what I am looking for for here: master plan examples, UD plans, and UD books (see first post)

I am still in the research based phased and still determining what I want to do with this project. And while I do see the potential for a larger scope that I can handle and a possible flame out, I am taking this in consideration in what I am doing.

So again I would ask for :"books that deal specifically with master planning (research, analysis, concepts, design, ect. ) and urban design
    or even a good website that could help me out.
    And maybe some interesting case studies that have well documented master plans available."

Registered
    Jul 2007
    There are alot of books that deal with urban design and master planning!

The Fundamentals of Urban Design by Richard Hedman
    The Image of the City-Kevin Lynch (a classic!)
    Public Spaces-Urban Places-Carmona, et, all (good text)
    The Urban Design Handbook

Do a search at your university library to see what you can get for free, you would be surprised what is available if you are willing to dig around.

As for master planning...it just depends what you are master planning, you might want to look for "urban, redevelopment plans" in large cities. Look for books that deal with those specific subjects instead of just "master plans" because master plans are done for everything from suburban greenfields to airports to urban areas, you need to narrow your focus.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Sep 2009, 8:29 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Jan 2008, 1:15 PM
  3. Master plans
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Jul 2007, 6:57 PM
  4. Replies: 10