Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A new Paris, as dreamed by planners

Registered
    Feb 2009

A new Paris, as dreamed by planners

Howdy Doo,
    I read a neat article in the March 16th edition of the New York Times about future planning models for paris. The article is called "A New Paris, as Dreamed by Planners". You can google NYT's and put in urban planning paris or some yap and it comes it will likely come up in a search.

I am excited to see the plans for Paris. The photo in the article shows an elevated train going around the city following one of the main highways called the perepherique. With the addition of trying to use transport lines to connect
    all the suburbs with the city in a more convienent fashion.

Best Regards, Christine V, Guyancourt France

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    I read a few exerts relating to this story and this plan. I hope redevelopments for Paris do indeed promote sustainability as desired.

For my part, I've been trying to network with folks in the midwestern USA to develop at least one model sustainable city in Macomb, Illinois. I hope that this and other models can help integrate more sustainable technologies more quickly on the smaller, model, prototype scale and thereby yield lessons that could be helpful for larger cities as well. Search around here at Cyburbia, if you're interested, and you'll find my posts.

Regards,
    MachWing

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hope the wide, shaded boulevards that the Germans like to march in are retained.

That's what I think of Paris.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../paris.600.jpg

Impressive stuff. I have to say, Jean Nouvel's concept of creating a green ring around the city to limit sprawl is very interesting.

It is about time the suburbs of Paris are addressed, although I'd imagine it'll be a long time before any infrastructure gets built.

Moderator note:
    (Gedunker) quartz our rules do not permit image-leeching. Please consider using an image hosting service such as photobucket or imageshack. Thanks and carry on!
    Last edited by mendelman; 24 Mar 2009 at 9:14 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

cool to hear the comments article listed below

ARTS / ART & DESIGN | March 17, 2009
    Architecture: A New Paris, as Dreamed by Planners
    By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
    Ten proposals for a new master plan for Paris, all aiming to transform it into the first sustainable city, may just be the kind of brazen idealism the world needs.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Didn't see that it was for the Periph.
    Might work but then again, it doesn't lead anywhere, just goes around the city, could be linked to the trams they are proposing and currently buildings on some streets
    I really like the idea of a new business district that would work with the train.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Paris
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Nov 2008, 10:43 AM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last post: 27 Nov 2005, 6:38 PM
  3. Paris maps
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Jul 2005, 6:33 PM