Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Columbia MUP

Registered
    Mar 2009

Columbia MUP

It's looking more and more likely that I'll end up at Columbia's MUP program. Anyone else looking in the same direction?

Have any of you finalized financial aid? Any thoughts on overall cost of living in NY - specifically the upper west side or morningside heights? I'm starting to do some research and working out the details, but any companionship through the process would be great. I'll be attending the open house next Tuesday, so I'm hoping to meet people there too.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    I'm seriously thinking about Columbia too...for MSRED. I haven't even begun the financial aid process yet. I think it's going to be pretty expensive living up there, though. I went there for a year as an undergrad and it was tough to find a place to live. Also, since I'm interested in both real estate and planning, how does the planning dept stack up? Is it considered one of the better programs in the country?

Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    well in the latest Planetizen rankings, it was unranked because they supposedly did not respond to their survey for information. However, under the specialty rankings, its ranked highly in many of the fields. I assume from this that it is actually a high quality program - just one that unfortunately doesn't provide much information to the public.

I looked over their list of profs and classes for the Fall 08-Spring 09 year and it looks like they've got some good faculty and great classes available. My knowledge of these guys isn't great, but it seems like they are pretty good. The other school that is stacked with big names is UMich. Otherwise, I don't know where else the big names are.

I'm very thrilled about going to NY for school and don't mind the idea of taking a loan to do so. However, I just wish the university provided more help through grants and affordable housing for students (I have yet to hear about any of this from them).

Registered
    Sep 2008

Similar boat

I too was accepted to the MUP at Columbia but I haven't decided yet. I was also accepted to Hunter's program, which is WAY cheaper and I have heard pretty good things about the program. Is Columbia THAT good for the price? Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Will Columbia provide contacts if moving to another state afterward? Then again, I can't say that I'm not attracted to the idea of attending Columbia, I'm sure it's great. I'm confused, haha! I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    yeah it's tricky. on one hand, having the exposure to the GSAPP and their amazing faculty throughout the school is enticing (not to mention the name of the school), but on the other hand, 38k/year and the extremely high living expenses of nyc.

my strategy thus far has been to make some comparisons with other schools (these are just the ones im considering):
    nyu tuition: 31k
    michigan tution: 31k
    upenn tuition: 37k

the estimated annual expenses of living in nyc (housing, insurance, additional costs) are about 25k.

it's obviously much cheaper in MI and a bit less expensive in philly.

any current Columbia students have any insight for us??

Registered
    Mar 2009
    also, does anyone have information from planetizens 2007 rankings about columbia's program? the 2009 guide has no useful info.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    In the 2007 Planetizen guide Columbia was ranked 18th overall and 13th by reputation only.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Hey, did you end up going to the Columbia open house? I'll be visiting the school next week but I'm still curious about how that went.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Has anyone made a decision regarding Columbia? Did anyone attend the open house?

I submitted my scholarship application late and only just received word that I would be getting $14k for the first year - I would need to reapply next year. I'm debating whether to take it or USC's full ride. Admissions decisions are due tomorrow and I'm still 95% sure I'll be going to USC, just wondering what your guys' thoughts on Columbia are.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi from Columbia MO!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 8:24 AM
  2. Columbia / USC
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Apr 2008, 3:05 PM
  3. Columbia
    Student Commons