Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cities with soul

Registered
    Mar 2009

Cities with soul

HAVE YA EVER VISITED A CITY WITH SO MUCH SOUL IT MADE YOU LITERALY STOP TO INHALE IT ALL AT ONCE?
    hailing from a city that exudes soul( Yeah Im talkin about St.Louis B****) I tend to appreciate other cities alike such as Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, New Orleans, D town and maybe alittle bit of kansas city .
    Id like to know what gives your city soul!
    Last edited by samie; 23 Mar 2009 at 6:42 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    If I would have to point to one, it would be the Motown Museum. Can't do much better than to hang out in Studio A for an afternoon! http://www.motownmuseum.com/mtmpages/index.html
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Memphis ranks up there.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I wouldn't know SOUL if it came up to me and sucker-punched me in the face.

Seriously though, is SOUL a synonym for African-American cultural expressions?

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Hell no, A city with soul is a city with a rich vibrant history whether it be the music or the people. It is the heart and the feeling ya get when exploring a city.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    To me, "soul" is tied to history. Having grown up in one of the oldest towns in New England (founded 1636) and having worked for years in Boston, I'm constantly disappointed when I visit other areas. Newer places like Tampa and Phoenix have too much cookie-cutter sprawl, too much order, too little complexity. Many older places like Milwaukee have too much damage to their urban fabric from misguided attempts at "renewal" to retain that soul. Almost everywhere lacks spaces that help to create personal interactions between strangers.

Where did I find "soul"? Boston (sometimes), Toronto (often), downtown Portland, ME, and some neighborhoods in older cities like Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc. Heck, there's more soul in Downtown Disney than there is in most cities and towns in the U.S. Maybe that's what we're paying for when the proverbial "we" vacation on Nantucket or go to Epcot: shorts bursts of artificial soul.

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I wouldn't know SOUL if it came up to me and sucker-punched me in the face.

Seriously though, is SOUL a synonym for African-American cultural expressions?

In this case, I don't think "soul" has to do with blackness at all, but rather history and a sense of place. I would say that places like Atlanta and Charlotte have essentially sold their soul to developers (though history can still be found in those places) whereas an older city like my native Birmingham still has plenty of history left (albeit mostly because our local economy hasn't really taken off so there's been no need to demolish old buildings!).

I think soul can be found in almost any place of a decent size. It's just that you have to look much, much harder in some places as opposed to others.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 58
    Last post: 11 Aug 2014, 8:29 AM
  2. Replies: 50
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 5:31 PM
  3. Place that touch your soul
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 13 Sep 2004, 3:24 PM
  4. Confession is good for the soul.
    Friday Afternoon Club