Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Upcoming interview quandary

Registered
    Oct 2005

Upcoming interview quandary

Here's the short version. I received an email today to interview in early April for a job I have had my eye on for a while. My wife's due date is right before (or after if she goes long) the dates they gave me to choose from.

Do I tell them my wife is pregnant and may have to change the date or do I suck it up, hope the tyke comes on time or early, and schedule for the latest date they gave me?

Will telling a planning department without an HR department that my wife is pregnant help or hurt my chances?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tide, I went through a similar situation with my first born. Be truthful. If they want to interview you, they'll accommodate you. People are good about the kind of stuff. If not, you don't want to work for them.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Feb 1998
    What RJ said.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Be truthful. Besides, I don't think you'll have to worry about them factoring the benefit cost of childbirth since that will be done well before she would come on to your insurance (if she does not have insurance of her own).

People drop personal information like this all the time in interviews. Call and tell them what is up, and offer to do the interview sooner if necessary (still sends them a clear message that you are very interested).

Alternatively, you can encourage your wife to start doing jumping jacks in hopes that it will get the next edition of Tide out a little earlier. [Confide in me, I am not a doctor]

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Again, the view from the other side of the interview:

Tell them in advance about the baby. Everyone will understand. If they know there is a possibility that the interview may be postponed, if it does happen, the interview panel will respect your maturity and will be happy to have time to do all the other work they are responsible to do. (This is not the same if an interviewee cancels unexpectedly, then everyone wonders about the maturity of the candidate and the panel ends up losing time that can not be made up).

PS Everyone loves babies

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I agree with what others said. If this potential employer isn't willing to work with you on such a major family event, you prob. don't want to work for them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Family First

Does your wife know about this. If you leave at any time close to her delivery you may come home and find the locks changed.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ Heck yes my wife knows, I wouldn't be interviewing without her input.

Here's what the OB said and why we've decided.

Since my wife is still not dilated she set an induction date for the 7th. I will interview on the 6th and hopefully fly (yet to hear from them if this will be reimbursed). I will be back on the night of the 6th and there for the delivery on the 7th. Since this is our first the OB said rarely do they come on time (which would be the 3rd). I shouldn't miss out and if he starts to come out my wife can cross her legs until I get there .

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I think everyone is spot on with their advice. Knock 'em dead at the interview and come back and welcome your little man into the world.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Exciting upcoming projects
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Nov 2010, 4:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2007, 5:05 PM
  3. Upcoming interview- writing exercise
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Oct 2006, 2:06 PM