Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planetizen online courses????

Registered
    Oct 2008

Planetizen online courses????

Has anybody taken the online courses offered through Planetizen? If so, did you learn anything and was it worth your time?

http://www.planetizen.com/courses/list

I didn't take, but one on the AICP prep course looked good. Before anyone asks, I was helping someone out.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    I took the Smart Growth course. As someone who's not (yet) in the field I found it useful in the sense that I was able to learn about the issues, pros/cons, terminology, solutions, etc.

On the other hand, I didn't find it very challenging. There's a quiz at the end of each section, which mainly relied on memorization-type questions rather than any sort of analysis. It seemed like it was a quiz that would be given freshman year of high school. There's also an essay that's required to complete the course which I haven't done yet; not sure if I will since I don't need the AICP credits.

Overall, I'd say it's informative to learn about the topic from a very high level, although I probably could've spent $20 on a book rather than $100 and learned the same amount or more.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS courses online
    Information Technology
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Apr 2010, 10:04 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 31 Aug 2007, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Oct 2005, 4:32 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Mar 2005, 8:51 PM