Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transit master planning - achieving a shift to PT in a car-dominated urban sprawl

Registered
    Feb 2009

Transit master planning - achieving a shift to PT in a car-dominated urban sprawl

Hi there,

I'm a planner working in Dubai and am interested in hearing this forums views on how to achieve successful intermodal transit integration through master planning. Would appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of some good case studies of large cities who have been able to achieve a shift to PT through coordinated PT and land use planning and theories on how this can be achieved.

Infrastructure Planning in Dubai is currently not coordinated and road, rail, power, water and sewerage networks are not keeping up with development. The rail network is beginning to take shape but more work is needed to ensure that integration with other transit modes (ferry, bus, taxi) can be achieved.

Thoughts please!

Moderator note:
    Maister: moved from Cyburbia issues and help
    Last edited by Maister; 26 Mar 2009 at 8:10 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    I think that Arlington, VA is fairly well accepted as the best U.S. example of how long-range coordinated planning of transit and land use can drastically change the mode split and built environment of an area. There is a wealth of information on this area at http://www.arlingtonva.us/Portals/To...velopment.aspx

Registered
    Apr 2009
    This seems like a promising link with some good ideas:

http://www.up.ac.za/dspace/handle/2263/7450

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jul 2013, 12:35 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 May 2010, 9:49 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Sep 2008, 1:01 PM