Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UMASS Amherst MRP program

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008

UMASS Amherst MRP program

Does anyone know the quality of this school's masters of regional planning program. I was recently accepted to it but I originally considered it a safety school. Now that I have gotten into a top choice (Tufts) which is a pricey $28,572 a year, I have to make a careful decision of which school to attend. I didn't get any financial aid info from either school yet other than the Tufts coordinator verbally telling me over the phone that the department recommended a 20% discount. Either ways, Tufts will still be a pricey option despite it being a good school whereas UMASS is much cheaper. I hesitate in accepting UMASS though because I really question its academic reputation of its MRP Program. Does anyone know more about it?

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Julius Fabos was there for years (he might still be around). He was with the LA side but he is an internationally known regional planner, not quite the celebrity of McHarg, but an important figure in contemporary physical planning. My thesis was on greenways and the best literature came from faculty at UMASS. From what I understand they have some great people there, but it gets watered down due to the size of the department.

I've heard nothing about Tufts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 May 2012, 7:12 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Feb 2009, 10:20 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Jul 2007, 10:57 AM
  4. UMassachusetts - Amherst
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3