Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dual Masters in Urban Planning and Historic Preservation

Registered
    Mar 2009

Dual Masters in Urban Planning and Historic Preservation

Hello,

I was hoping that some of you may have some advice/ experiences to share on getting a dual masters in Urban Planning and Historic Preservation. As I am approaching UP/HP largely from a theoretical perspective, I am not sure of the real world usage of the dual degrees. I also have not studied either in great depth, so that adds another layer of hesitancy on my part. However, I am immensely interested in the interplay of the two and them as individual subjects while I lack direct vocational experience in either field.

So I am in a bit of a bind as I really enjoy the idea of studying both HP and UP, but am still debating the extent of the combination of the two's "real world value." At this moment, I would ideally love to work for an organization comparable to the World Monuments Fund... so the degrees would prove useful..? Furthermore, because I am not sure exactly what I want to do career-wise, so am I under the false pretense that they would enable me to have more options? Also, for anyone else who has taken this academic route, what are their thoughts in general?

Thank you for your help... as you can see, I am doing a bit of soul-searching about my life's direction, so any words on the subject would be most appreciated!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Dual degrees would give you a lot of flexibility (and a lot of student debt ). Another option would be to get a MUP degree with a certificate in HP - some Georgia Tech MUP students also get an HP certificate from Georgia State, for example. One thing to bear in mind is that for certain types of work in the HP field - especially involving federal agencies - you would need the MHP degree to meet the Secretary of the Interior's professional qualifications standards (ref: http://www.nps.gov/history/local-law/arch_stnds_9.htm).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jul 2012, 4:09 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jul 2007, 9:39 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Aug 2006, 11:10 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 12:02 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Apr 2005, 12:12 AM