Hey,

I recently became interested in Urban Planning and am planning on applying for the MUP program at Hunter for the Spring semester. I got my BA in criminal justice and have since been working mostly in social work in the non profit sector. I've also been dabbling in media and communications on a freelance basis (www.squarerootz.net).

For a while I was considering getting an MBA. I think what I was looking for was a way to work for myself as well as being able to focus on community empowerment and development of low income communities by the actual residents (rather than outside developers). When I discovered Urban Planning as an industry I realized it ft much more with what I really want to do.

I'm really nervous about jumping into this field and worried about the availability of jobs once I graduate. When I pursued my BA in CJ, I had no idea it'd be such a dead end. I was (and to some extent still am) an idealist and figured I could save the world on no income with no problem.... Well now that I've been in the work force for a couple years, I know that's quite untrue. I don't want to make the same mistake.

Advice?