Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Residential metal roofing systems

Registered
    Dec 2008

Residential metal roofing systems

We currently only allow metal roofing on houses that conceals the fasteners and do not show any of the "industrial" side of things (my words).

We have been getting calls from roofers saying we are the only city they know that doesn't allow bolts and fasteners to be exposed on the outside. Does anyone have any suggestions for me about this topic. Some roofers want to revisit the codes (passed in 2003) but I don't want to get the whole process started just because they might sell some more product and there is not real benefit to the town as a whole.

Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    You could try telling them that you've got a running list of potential code amendment issues that the City plans to look into in greater detail at some point in the not-too-distant future, and that you'll add this issue to the list for further review. Otherwise if they don't want to be put on the list, you could tell them they have the option of paying to initiate their own code amendment application. Just a thought?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm trying to get my head around this. What public purpose is served by requiring the fasteners to be concealed?

This is an example where I think we sometimes go too far.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    RJ, they look different. A Stepford wife would never live in a home with exposed roof fasteners. They would devalue the entire neighborhood. They would entice "those people" to move in. The neighbors needs commie planners for protection.

To seriously help stroskey, I think OregonPlanner is on target.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I guess I'm missing the point as to why the town feels there is a difference. I had a hard time finding any pictures that demonstrated one. In the link below there are pictures of standing seam metal roofs with exposed and with concealed fasteners. I can't see any real difference between the two. Can you?

http://perryroofing.org/Residential_Metal_Roofs.html

Now, if the goal is to require metal roofs that look like shingles, I can see that, but then why wouldn't you also ban standing seam roofs with concealed fasteners, which to me look like the typical metal roof? Why not just require all roofs to resemble shingles?

While truth on the Internet is hard to find, one site claimed that exposed fastener systems were 30% cheaper than concealed fastener systems, but required more maintinence. Unless there are hurricane or other safety issues here, I don't see where the town should make that decision for the homeowner.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Our city has a long history of buildings and dwellings that, for lack of a better phrase, are not maintained. It's gotten to the point where potential business owners tour the city and decide to locate somewhere else because of the aesthetics. I've heard this story more than once from the Econ Development Committee. This situation has posed a problem for our community and thud we have begun to regulate problems that affect not only the neighborhood, but the whole town. To get to the point on this topic, a few metal roofs were put up many years ago on houses and they look exactly like a shed on a farm. There are long rust lines down the roof, holes where bolts should go, and the general impression of industry rather than housing. The community came together for change and this metal roof ordinance was one of the approved changes - that's where the town in coming from.

When you have a community full of people that will always do the right thing and maintain their property (and can afford to do so when they need it) these regulations seem silly. It's not until you have a few "bad apples" that you really begin to understand why regulations of this type are necessary.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Jan 2010, 3:05 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Mar 2009, 8:05 PM
  3. Roofing permit
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 26 Sep 2006, 10:16 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 30 Aug 2006, 12:02 PM