Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ever misheard the lyrics? Evidently, it's pretty easy.

Registered
    Aug 1997

Ever misheard the lyrics? Evidently, it's pretty easy.

A study reveals that it is much easier to understand what someone is saying when you are looking at them. Thus, it is easy to mishear the lyrics to a song when you're not watching the singer sing them.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive...7/1868546.aspx

Anyone mishear any notable lyrics? Hear "The algebra has a devil put aside for me" in Bohemian Rhapsody? Hear "There’s a bathroom on the right” instead of “There's a bad moon on the rise"? Hear "Pardon me while I kiss this guy?" Wonder why "Oh Canada, we stand on cars and freeze"?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    "José, can you see" (as heard in the bleachers)

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Nice list is available at

The Archive of Misheard Lyrics - http://www.kissthisguy.com/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    ca. 1992 Nirvana's Teen Spirit.
    ca. 2009 Lady Gaga's Poker Face. I thought she was saying "pump up the bass".
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2009
    My girlfriend has tons of them. So many I wsa going to start a t shirt company with them! Still might...

"Hey Jesse" instead of "Hey Jealosy"

Who are you guys talking about? Alice in Chains, "yeah shes sooo hot" (Allison Chains) That really happened.

"La La La" from the Beatles Love Love Love...

"To Lyla" from the annoying radio program on soft rock station "Delila"

I got more but thats what I have off the top of my head
    "Inside Joke"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I mishear lyrics all of the time. Instead of "our lips are sealed" I heard "honest lucille." I know that I have a number of other songs, but I can't think of them.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    When my kid was little, he used to love dancing around to "Nacho Man" by the Village People....

I still can't understand what the fish on the wall is singing in the newer McDonald's commercial.....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I was in Saudi Arabia during the first gulf war we would occassionally find cheap bootleg tapes from Indonesia in some of the shops. Occassioally, somebody would try to add the lyrics. One of my favorites was Bruce Springsteen's "Tenth Avenue is a freezer."
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I mishear lyrics all the time. And even if I do see a band in concert, I am still likely to sing the wrong lyrics. It's only once I actually look at the written lyrics online or in the liner notes or whatever that I change my habit and start singing the right lyrics.

One of my favorite times of other people mishearing lyrics (or song titles, for that matter) is when my brother was tape recording an Aerosmith concert for me off the radio and wrote all the song titles down and everything. Instead of "Train Kept-a Rollin'", he misheard it as "Change of a Ruler". Funny stuff.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have a long history of double-ear infections. As I have healed in recent years, my hearing has improved. I used to mis-hear song lyrics so much that I thought all song writers were higher than a kite anytime they wrote anything because it all sounded so psychedelic to me. A lot of songs are a lot more boring these days. For example, I used to think the guy was going to take a moon train. That sounded so much more fascinating than catching the noon train to meet his girlfriend in the city.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I often have problems trying to get heard lyrics right. For example, it took me years to identify a 1990s club hit (it turned out to be The Bomb by the Bucketheads) so that I could acquire it and more recently add it to my iPod - and I only identified it about 2-3 years ago. I kept thinking that the over and over repeated catch line in it was "Please stop fooling with my mind" when it reality it is "These sounds fall into my mind" (sung with a fairly thick British? accent). No wonder repeated lyric searches on it kept coming up dry.

Yes, the radio guys not identifying the songs that they play has been a gripe of mine for as long as I can remember.

Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2012, 9:20 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Jul 2009, 10:17 AM
  3. Probably a pretty tough GTC
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 31 May 2005, 4:31 PM
  4. Replies: 15