Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3:22 a.m.

Registered
    Feb 2004

3:22 a.m.

So I'm driving through town and it's 3:22 a.m. The streets are not quite deserted as I pass four other cars on my six mile journey last night. I drive by a couple of houses and notice they have lights on in multiple rooms of the house.
    What are these people doing? We're not a nocturnal species? Why are they awake at 3:22?

It's seldom a good moment if I find myself driving through town at 3:22 a.m. or up and about around the house. It must mean either: 1) I have a job that starts obscenely early; 2) it's an emergency and I'm going to or from the hospital; 3) I haven't gone to bed yet 4) I have insomnia; 5) there's some housing-related emergency (flood, no heat, fire, etc)

What goes on at 3:22 a.m.? Why would YOU be up at that hour? It probably makes a difference where one lives; city, suburbs, or country.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    When I was homeschooling and taking college classes, I did most of my studying and schoolwork after midnight because it was the only time I could concentrate and not get constantly interrupted.

Right now, I am still getting off work at 11pm. I try to go to bed around 2am but sometimes can't sleep until 3am or 4am (or sometimes 5am to 6am). Hopefully that will end when I move to dayshift next month.

When my oldest son was little, he wasn't big on sleep. He sometimes had me up at all hours to feed him and entertain him.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What goes on at 3:22 a.m.? Why would YOU be up at that hour?
    I hope & pray that I am asleep.

I hope & pray that I WOULD NOT be up at that hour.
    At least not caused by being out late drinking (sober 15 yrs), no wife, kids or pets.
    Possiblility of tornado warning, get up to go to the bathroom, woke at 4:30 by a 5.4 earthquake.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm not surprised by that at all. A lot more people work shift work than most realize. Hospitals are scheduling some tests thoughout the night. We have a lot more 24 hour stores which workers are scheduled to show up at all hours.

Shift work is not exclusively dictated by the factory clock any longer. In addition there are a lot more seniors as a percentage of population than ever before. If they are anything like my parents, they stay up real late because they don't have to be anywhere in the morning.

Registered
    May 2004
    A bar next to a place I used to work was always open in the morning and I ruotinely saw people hanging out there at 8 in the morning. One day I finally asked someone what the heck they were doing drinking at a bar at 8 in the morning. Turns out the bar catered almost exclusively to dock workers who got off work at 6 or 7 in the morning. 8 am was their happy hour.

When I was in college I routinely stayed up until 5am or so.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wake up around 4:00 a.m. four days a week and am usually on my way to the gym by 4:30... I know that it's an hour later but that would account for the lights on in at least one person's home at that un-Godly hour.

I enjoy waking up early and starting my day before the rooster crows. If I had the opportunity to start my actual job at 6:30 a.m. or 5:30 a.m. and get off that much earlier, I would jump at it... unfortunately, 7:00 a.m. was the earliest my department would allow for me.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    For about 15 years I either worked the 4pm-1am shift or from 10pm-9am. It is very difficult to come home after getting off at 1am and go straight to bed. Often I would hit up the 24 hour Super Walmart and go grocery shopping, watch tv, read, putz around the internet at that hour and go to bed around 4am. When I worked the overnight shift we were on a 8 day on, 6 day off routine and because I was so accustomed to being up in the middle of the night I wouldn't go to sleep until 3-4am. Even now I have a hard time going to sleep before 1am.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 1997
    For 375 consectutive days, I delivered the morning paper. Up at 3:00 AM and to the warehouse, hopefully get papers rolled and sleeved by 4:00 AM, 4:30 AM at the latest, drive the route for an hour, back home for breakfast, get to day job early. I remember the 5:00 AM radio morning show people saying how few people were up at that hour on Thankgiving or Christmas or Labor Day, but there were always people about, even on holidays.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    when we lived in Boston, it was always amazing to me that no matter what time of day/night it was, there would always be traffic on 128 and there could even be a tie up on 93 or in the tunnel

our nutcake FOIA scary guy emails us around this time of day which to me is a sign that things may be amiss...

It was prime driving time when I was an over-the-road trucker. Nowadays, it's not a good thing if I'm out and about at that hour.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    Back in the mid-80s at the height of the 'superbike of the month' era, watching the Inteceptors, GSX-Rs, Ninjas, etc, square off on the local desrted roads.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am sometimes up as early as 345 AM (workout at the gym 5-730AM), or I am getting in the door at that time, depending if it's a workday or not. Although lately I have been waking up even earlier at 3AM to tackle more LEED AP studying before work starts at 8AM.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Mar 2006
    For two summers in college I worked a night-shift job from 5 PM - 3 AM, 4 nights a week. At 3:22 I'd just be getting home, starving, and too hyper to go to bed.

Now I'm often up around then giving the baby a bottle and rocking her back to sleep.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Last week I was up then to make a drive (one hour) to Denver's airport for an early flight. That is usually the reason I would be up at that time.

However, as I drove through town and then down I-25, I wondered about people up at that time. What they were doing, etc.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What goes on at 3:22 a.m.? Why would YOU be up at that hour?
    My neighbor is usually getting up at this hour to get ready to leave for work. If any lights are on in my house at that hour, he will usually comment on my insomnia when he sees me next.

Elsewhere in town, staff from the paper mill shift that got off at 3am are often still up and about.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Nothing good happens at 3:22 a.m. unless you're in Vegas or The City that Never Sleeps.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm a college kid, so I'm up at 3:22am plenty of times. Partying, surfing the web, watching TV or a movie, studying/writing a paper, eating, winding down, chatting with friends, spending time with the GF, doing laundry, cleaning up after a party, etc. When your first class isn't until 11am or noon and you don't have parents to yell at you to go to bed, what do you expect?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

We have spectacular views of sunrises from our living room windows. I struggle to see them at any time except around the winter solstice.

I am never up at 345. I thought the world shut down!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    If I was awake at 3:22 am, it would probably have to be an emergency. At this point in my life I am not nocturnal.

I have to admit, I still get nervous if the phone happens to ring at that hour. During my freshman year in college, I was visiting my grandmother - who insisted that I sleep in her bed and give her the couch - when the phone rang, around 3:30 or 4 am. It was the hospital calling to report that my grandfather had died. Not a good feeling.

I don't think any of my neighbors works the night shift, so at 3:22 am, we might have a few deer, raccoons, and possums awake, that's about it...

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Close

Rock and roll folks still debate the origins of the Chicago classic 25 Or 6 To 4. Chicago members insist that it was written early in the morning and the clock showed "25 or 6 to 4". Others argue that the song had a drug reference. Whatever, it was a great early Chicago tune.....showcasing the great guitar slinging of Terry Kath.

The video quality sux, the sound ain't so hot either.....but it was the only live version of this tune with Terry Kath playing that I could find. Chicago fans know that a young Mr. Kath had a tragic gun accident and now plays rock and roll in the stars (or some such place).

This shows the Chicago that I grew-up with......a hard-driving rock and roll band that had horns......not what they morphed into.....a pop band that only had a few good tunes. And near the end of the video, that lead singer who looks like one of the Geiko cavemen.....that's pop stylist Peter Cetera.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw0bLlDxtZg

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I love the night, granted I am still young at 24. When I was an undergrad I was a security assistant in the dorms. I worked 11pm to 7am. 85% of the time I felt like I got paid too much for my job. The other 15% of the time, no amount of pay seemed like enough. I used to also wait tables and would get off at 2am, most nights I wouldn't hit the bed before 4 am.

I love going to the grocery store or 24 hr. supercenter at 2 am. The feeling of having the store to yourself is awesome. I wish I could do this planning thing at night. As I get older I am sure my nocternal ways will change.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Nothing good happens at 3:22 a.m. unless you're in Vegas or The City that Never Sleeps.
    Amen.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's now 3:22 am. I am not sleeping well. The dog hates thunderstorms.

Registered
    May 2002
    Last time I was up at that time was within the last month. Son was throwing up. We stayed up over an hour and went back to bed. He was fine in the morning.

Noggin's shows are downright abysmal at that time of the day!
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 390,269 people with a 99% happiness rating (1/23/2017)!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Last Call at the Neo in Chicago!

Then!

Over to the Exit for their Last Call!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast