Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: city getting too big for it's britches

Registered
    Apr 2009

city getting too big for it's britches

So this damn city just annexed my ranch for no good reason about a year ago illegally. They keep fighting my lawsuit, and even zoned my property. I moved out to the country so the government would leave me alone. Now I've got some bunch of yahoos trying to tell me what I can and cannot build. I tried to build a small landing strip and an airplane hanger on my property, and this jerk of a planner went all nuts about complying with building codes, using licensed contractors and some nonsense about impervious cover. I just want to be able to fly to my business in Houston, but I don't want to live in a city with crazy regulations like they do! What's next?!? Are they going to start complaining about how my cows' farts affect the ozone layer?

I don't know who these planners think they are, telling me what I can't do with my land. It's a building for an airplane, not an orphanage full of kids!

Can someone here help me fight back? They shouldn't be able to tell folks what they can do with their land, especially when its for ranching. It's not like I'm housing a bunch of illegals out there or anything!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    How about a cell tower with that?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    'zat you, RJ?

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    How about a cell tower with that?
    Thank god I got that before they annexed me! Verizon was really happy I was outside the city. Got a free phone & plan with it too! No more coverage problems at the ranch!

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    'zat you, RJ?
    You must be thinking of someone else. My name is Curtis and my ranch is in Oklahoma.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by idowhatiwant View post
    Are they going to start complaining about how my cows' farts affect the ozone layer?
    Recent studies have shown cow emissions do effect the level of on air quality in a region. The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District has scientific evidence that 19.3 pounds of volatile organic compounds (VOC) per head
    of dairy cattle is emitted into the atmosphere, and this is not counting methane emissions, a leading contributor to Greenhouse Gas emissions.

oh and btw, even though you aren't housing illegals, you do have to abide by zoning codes established by either the city/county you reside in. If you don't you are breaking the law.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    have any trouble with the FAA ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Recent studies have shown cow emissions do effect the level of on air quality in a region. The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District has scientific evidence that 19.3 pounds of volatile organic compounds (VOC) per head
    of dairy cattle is emitted into the atmosphere, and this is not counting methane emissions, a leading contributor to Greenhouse Gas emissions.

oh and btw, even though you aren't housing illegals, you do have to abide by zoning codes established by either the city/county you reside in. If you don't you are breaking the law.
    But why? A year ago I was outside the city and could do whatever I damn well pleased! Nothing has changed--I'm still an active ranch. They shouldn't be able to annex agricultural land; what good does it do them, other than stealing my money for services I don't need or want? I built a barn four years ago without building codes, and it is doing just fine. I don't want their inspectors coming out here and messing with my stuff, and I don't see the point in getting permits.

Veloise: I've already got a cell tower! They were real happy to find out I was outside the city, and now I get good coverage with a little green to go with it! See? People make more money when the government stays out of the way!

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    have any trouble with the FAA ?
    Why should they be involved? It's my own private airstrip with no public access. I never got complaints about the helipad three years ago.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Friend, my life changed when I began ignoring these guys....

...although they still come around...

You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Does the County you live in have zoning? If it is a rural county, they may not have the staff to inspect if you actually have a permit.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    idowhatiwant, let me put this as tactfully as possible. You are in the wrong place if you are looking for sympathy or help in circumventing/opposing planning. This is a website dedicated to planning and the vast majority of members are working planners. While we welcome contrary views, please understand this website is not intended to promote anti-planning rhetoric, and we reserve the right to remove users who do not treat others with respect ...and referring to planners as 'yahoos' is not a step in the right direction. Fair warning.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    On any other day, I might give this a serious response. But today...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I suggest violence. You are probably a member of the GOP, and it works well with your style of problem solving. You are not really smart enough for more advanced options.

Probably using guns. If you live on a ranch in OK, you probably own a few or know people who do.

In addition to guns, we request you be inventive and novel when you attempt your one man coup of the local governing municipal entity. Like the killdozer used in Granby, Colorado. Anything less would be a mere mockery of the rural ubermensch ideology. Please remember to apply lead paint to all surfaces of your shed (do not eat the chips) and wear a tinfoil hat while working on your hicktraption of secession.

When you are finished with your assault, please stand by as members of the ATF and FBI will be buy to pick you up shortly.

If you have the money for a plane, hanger, and landing strip, you have the money for proper planning of those elements. Why the government would let you have a license to fly is beyond us, as you sound like you could go Timothy McVeigh at any moment.

Happy April Fools day.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Friend, my life changed when I began ignoring these guys....

...although they still come around...

Hey, I'm not some tinfoil hat nutjob. It's a fundamental belief that government has no business interfering with my property rights. I am not hurting anybody, so who cares? Besides, last time some government jackass was on my land my taxes doubled.

I've seen airstrips in the middle of gated neighborhoods, so FAA must not care that much about these things. I doubt they'd ever even know about mine anyway.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    'zat you, RJ?
    Nope. Did the sockpuppet thinkie once before as a joke and got wacked.

BTW Curtis, farts are funny stuff.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    I suggest violence. You are probably a member of the GOP, and it works well with your style of problem solving. You are not really smart enough for more advanced options.

Probably using guns. If you live on a ranch in OK, you probably own a few or know people who do.

In addition to guns, we request you be inventive and novel when you attempt your one man coup of the local governing municipal entity. Like the killdozer used in Granby, Colorado. Anything less would be a mere mockery of the rural ubermensch ideology. Please remember to apply lead paint to all surfaces of your shed (do not eat the chips) and wear a tinfoil hat while working on your hicktraption of secession.

When you are finished with your assault, please stand by as members of the ATF and FBI will be buy to pick you up shortly.

If you have the money for a plane, hanger, and landing strip, you have the money for proper planning of those elements. Why the government would let you have a license to fly is beyond us, as you sound like you could go Timothy McVeigh at any moment.

Happy April Fools day.
    McVeigh is a terrible person. You use violence to protect yourself, not hurt countrymen--that is unpatriotic. People like him are why we have the 2nd amendment to defend ourselves. I have lots of guns because that is my right.

Not smart? HA! You have to have brains to afford my lifestyle! I started my business from nothing. I know I'm doing stuff right (and paying for it), so I don't need some hack with a degree from cheesedick community college telling me stuff I already know. Government is just trying to keep an eye on us, and I'll have none of it.

You act like I'm some nutjob, but there's lots of folks like me. In fact, a bunch of them are trying to move to New Hampshire so we can create one state where the government acts like it should.

Hey Maister, you ever read the Constitution? I have a right to say what I want. I'm not being rude at all. What, are planners scared to be questioned? I bet a lot are just like me, and work for the government as a way to get their tax money back.

rcgplanner: my county does not have zoning. County's have no business controlling land use. People revolt for crap like that. Look what happened in the Bitteroot Valley in Montana when they tried!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

here's some signs for yer

Hey - good luck - hire a lawyer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1commiesign5ov.jpg   1commievantx5.jpg  

youre-doing-alright-everyone.jpg  

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I've seen airstrips in the middle of gated neighborhoods, so FAA must not care that much about these things. I doubt they'd ever even know about mine anyway.
    According to this guide about constructing private airstrips from the TX Department of Transportation, ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-..._airstrips.pdf, the FAA does need to be notified about the construction of private airstrips...

Any person proposing to establish, alter or deactivate a landing strip or area is required to give prior notice to the Federal Aviation Administration. This notice is accomplished through the submission of FAA Form 7480-1, which may be obtained by contacting our office at the addresses listed in the front of this book.
    The applicable Federal Aviation Regulation is FAR Part 157. It states that anyone proposing to build a personal or private use airport (used solely under VFR conditions, located more than 20 nautical miles from an airport for which an instrument approach procedure is authorized and located more than five nautical miles from any airport open to the public) must submit FAA Form 7480-1 at least 30 days before work is to begin.
    The owner may at the same time request that his farm and ranch strip be shown on FAA sectional charts with a notation as to the nature of the strip...private, cattle on field, etc.

Luckless, that first sign is actually located not too far from me, just outside of Bloomington, IN.

ido, you say County's have no business in controlling land use, how would you like it if you lived in a gated community and someone built a pig farm right next door, I bet you would be upset that your property values would plumment. One of the reasonings behind zoning is to protect property values and surrounding property owners from incompatable land uses.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Moderator note:
    Fair warning.
    "Wait a minute now....somebody say Fair Warning? Lord, strike that poor boy down." - David Lee Roth, "Mean Street", 1981

Sorry, I couldn't resist. And this looks like an April Fools Joke of a thread anyway.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    5 REASONS ITS A FUN APRIL FOOLS THREAD!

McVeigh is a terrible person. You use violence to protect yourself, not hurt countrymen--that is unpatriotic. People like him are why we have the 2nd amendment to defend ourselves. I have lots of guns because that is my right.
    April Fools Reason (AFR) #01) You wouldn't need to defend yourself from McVeigh, because you think a lot alike.

Not smart? HA! You have to have brains to afford my lifestyle! I started my business from nothing. I know I'm doing stuff right (and paying for it), so I don't need some hack with a degree from cheesedick community college telling me stuff I already know. Government is just trying to keep an eye on us, and I'll have none of it.
    AFR #02) If you had so much money and ran business in anywhere else except for hicksville, you would just do what the regulations insist and move on with your life. Therefore, you are either born with a silver spoon in your mouth and recently received uncle jeds millions, or you are not real. I am betting on April Fools.

You act like I'm some nutjob, but there's lots of folks like me. In fact, a bunch of them are trying to move to New Hampshire so we can create one state where the government acts like it should.
    AFR #03) You said it, and yes, there are to many people like you. I bet NH is looking forward to the Oklahoma Invasion! You just might be one of the wackjobs mentioned on NPR stating they needed to have 15 to 20 kids per parental units needing to invade urban territory and retake the school boards and local politics. Welcome to the new state of New Kansas Hampshire! YYYYAAAHHH-WHHHOOOOOO!

Hey Maister, you ever read the Constitution? I have a right to say what I want. I'm not being rude at all. What, are planners scared to be questioned? I bet a lot are just like me, and work for the government as a way to get their tax money back.
    AFR #04) Now your rich AND work for the government? another contradiction unless, see AFR #02.

rcgplanner: my county does not have zoning. County's have no business controlling land use. People revolt for crap like that. Look what happened in the Bitteroot Valley in Montana when they tried!
    AFR #5) If you were rich, you would have a lawyer(s) to explain what you are obviously ignorant about.

Be more specific about the happenings in Bitterroot. I did find mention of the US army fighting a "battle" where some native americans got massacred trying to escape.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    ... And this looks like an April Fools Joke of a thread anyway.
    No way!

added to lengthen post

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. And this looks like an April Fools Joke of a thread anyway.
    I am beginning to think this is an April Fools joke too, but I am not sure.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    What you should do is now go ahead and build that super-duper huge trailer park and bus in those thousands of people to live in it and use them to take over the city council AND RUN THINGS RIGHT!

Mike

BANNED
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    So this damn city just annexed my ranch for no good reason about a year ago illegally. They keep fighting my lawsuit, and even zoned my property. I moved out to the country so the government would leave me alone. Now I've got some bunch of yahoos trying to tell me what I can and cannot build. I tried to build a small landing strip and an airplane hanger on my property, and this jerk of a planner went all nuts about complying with building codes, using licensed contractors and some nonsense about impervious cover. I just want to be able to fly to my business in Houston, but I don't want to live in a city with crazy regulations like they do! What's next?!? Are they going to start complaining about how my cows' farts affect the ozone layer?

I don't know who these planners think they are, telling me what I can't do with my land. It's a building for an airplane, not an orphanage full of kids!
    I've been a long time lurker, but I'm sorry this post has prompted me to abandon my passivity.

No matter how many times I encounter attitudes like these I always find them reprehensible. People like you who think they are somehow above the law should not be entitled to the privileges and protections of citizenship! Why do you say the city annexed your property ILLEGALLY? Exactly what law did they break? Was there some procedural issue the city did not follow correctly?

This notion that whatever one person does with their own land should be no one else's concern conveniently ignores the fact that we do not live in a vacuum and can affect neighboring properties in a very direct way, not least of which being certain objectionable land uses can diminish property values. Someone with enough money to afford the construction of a private airport should at least appreciate that fact of life!

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Aug 2013, 5:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 3:56 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 3:05 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 2:26 PM
  5. Replies: 51