Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rap Music Lyrics

At least nobody here likes that Soulja Boy sh*t.

Yeah dudes back in the day were dropping knowledge, but that was way before rap went commercial. A lot of old school rappers were educated, maybe not formally, but they read. But nowadays, you've got people like Soulja Boy, who's like about 18 or so. He's 18 and I seriously question whether or not he's literate. I really, truly wonder if he can actually read. He dropped out in the 10th grade in Mississippi (which is like dropping out of the 3rd grade anywhere else). His lyrics reflect that. I can't tell what the hell he's saying.

Don't get me wrong, I love rap.......I grew up on it. After all, I am black and from the inner-city. But I'm also an intelligent, thinking human being and there's only so much a thinking person can take.

Most rap now makes for good party music. Which is fine by me - I like to drink and party (in moderation, of course - after all, I am an aspiring planner!). But at the same time......I wish we could return to the golden age of popular, but intelligent rap music.......guys like OutKast, Nas, Common just aren't popular enough. If they do have a hot track, often times it's only because they've intentionally chosen to dumb down the lyrics in order to boost record sales and radio play. Damn the ignorant masses........

Besides, I have a big issue with blacks in the popular culture and media constantly being portrayed as rappers, atheltes, dancers, entertainers, etc. and nothing else, but that's a rant for a whole other topic.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am with Cello and wahday as far as my old favorites go. Blondie's Rapture was mentioned but we can't forget Sugar Hill Gang's Rapper's Delight from 1979 And illinoisplanner we must not forget Eminem's "Without Me" which dissed a lot of people..."And Moby? You can get stomped by Obie!"

More recent picks my iPod....

Akon
    Daddy Yankee
    Flo Rida
    Jay-Z
    Kanye
    Lil Jon
    LL Cool J
    M.I.A.
    Missy Elliot
    Nelly
    Queen Latifah
    Snoop Dog
    Soulja Boy
    T.I.
    T. Pain
    Timbaland
    Young Joc
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Maister, you are playing too liberal (aren't you too old for this?)
    It is a difficult burden to have to shoulder, but the work of a True Poseur is never done.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    At least nobody here likes that Soulja Boy sh*t.

Yeah dudes back in the day were dropping knowledge, but that was way before rap went commercial. A lot of old school rappers were educated, maybe not formally, but they read. But nowadays, you've got people like Soulja Boy, who's like about 18 or so. He's 18 and I seriously question whether or not he's literate. I really, truly wonder if he can actually read. He dropped out in the 10th grade in Mississippi (which is like dropping out of the 3rd grade anywhere else). His lyrics reflect that. I can't tell what the hell he's saying.

Don't get me wrong, I love rap.......I grew up on it. After all, I am black and from the inner-city. But I'm also an intelligent, thinking human being and there's only so much a thinking person can take.

Most rap now makes for good party music. Which is fine by me - I like to drink and party (in moderation, of course - after all, I am an aspiring planner!). But at the same time......I wish we could return to the golden age of popular, but intelligent rap music.......guys like OutKast, Nas, Common just aren't popular enough. If they do have a hot track, often times it's only because they've intentionally chosen to dumb down the lyrics in order to boost record sales and radio play. Damn the ignorant masses........

Besides, I have a big issue with blacks in the popular culture and media constantly being portrayed as rappers, atheltes, dancers, entertainers, etc. and nothing else, but that's a rant for a whole other topic.
    Soulja Boy, and rappers similar to him (I refuse to call them artists), are nothing more than cultural pollution, dumbing down the entire genre. All bling, no brains. I like rap (see previous post), but it better show some creativity sophistication in the lyrics & beat.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Oh please. If anything in life will induce a migraine, it's rap. There are no good lyrics; it sucks. It gives anyone with a brain a headache. I Have to give it a fair chance, it's everywhere here; I'll walk out of a store playing it, only after telling the manager, you've lost me as a customer. (I sound like my MOm when we played Grand Funk Railroad...). Maister, you are playing too liberal (aren't you too old for this?)
    Is this an exaggeration or do you really not shop at a store again if you don't like the music? Just wondering.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I am with Cello and wahday as far as my old favorites go. Blondie's Rapture was mentioned but we can't forget Sugar Hill Gang's Rapper's Delight from 1979
    I'm not worthy! How can I forget the rap of my youth!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

BANNED
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    kadhalviruz is my favorite rapper ,here is one of his songs!!!!!! i hopeing you will like it

En Uyir Kadhale Ni Engu Poonaye ?
    Ni Illa Vaalkai Valikkithadi...!

Yen Muuchin Swasathil Ni Kalanthaayadi...
    Ni Ippo Kathrodhu Marainthuvidday...

En Thavara ? Anbe Un Thavara ?
    Yenthan Kadhalin Veethanai Puriyeleya?

Anbe En Thavara ? Anbe Un Thavara?
    Yen Ithaiyathai Therinju Yeen Noghadichai ?

Adi Kadhal Pichai Poodhu, Ennai Ni Vaale Vai
    Oru Murai Sollu Ni En Kadhali Enru..

Adi Kadhal Pichai Poodhu, Ennai Ni Vaale Vai
    Oru Murai Sollu Ni En Kadhali Enru..

Ennai Ni Paradi, Yenthan Kanneer Thuli
    Ithai Parthu Ennai Konjam Sirikka Vay

Ennai Ni Paradi, Yenthan Kanneer Thuli
    Ithai Parthu Ennai Konjam Sirikka Vay

Adi Oruvarsham Unnai Pirinthu Naan Vaalghinren
    Unnai Ninaithu Dhinam Saaghigiren...

Adi Oruvarsham Unnai Pirinthu Naan Vaalghinren
    Unnai Ninaithu Dhinam Saaghigiren...

Adutha Yenmam Varai, Naan Kathiruppen
    Yen Kadhalukku Naan Pooradhuven...

Adutha Yenmam Varai, Naan Kathiruppen
    Yen Kadhalukku Naan Pooradhuven...

En Thavara ? Anbe Un Thavara ?
    Yenthan Kadhalin Veethanai Puriyeleya?

Anbe En Thavara ? Anbe Un Thavara?
    Yen Ithaiyathai Therinju Yeen Noghadichai ?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    Maister:Venkataramana, please post in English
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is that an April Fool's prank -

Google Translate detect language
    We are not yet able to translate from Icelandic into English
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Oh please. If anything in life will induce a migraine, it's rap. There are no good lyrics; it sucks. It gives anyone with a brain a headache. I Have to give it a fair chance, it's everywhere here; I'll walk out of a store playing it, only after telling the manager, you've lost me as a customer. (I sound like my MOm when we played Grand Funk Railroad...). Maister, you are playing too liberal (aren't you too old for this?)
    the stuff in the stores or at the mall wont be remotely good. it will be whatever is popular on the radio now which is probably in someway based on that 'dirty south' crap. if you really want to give it a fair shake start with older stuff or with the more mellow options like madlib (shades of blue in particular) or wax tailor or something like that. pandora is great for listening to music to try it without actually buying it

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Anyone else ever notice that when rapping is used in television commercials, it's usually the upbeat 1980s-style East Coast/Will Smith-variety.

An example:

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Anyone else ever notice that when rappingis used in television commercials, it's usually the upbeat 1980s-style East Coast/Will Smith-variety.
    its accessible to us white folks who used to watch the fresh prince on tv

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I really like listening to rap and hip hop when I'm cleaning my house. It keeps me on my toes and it is funner folding laundry when you are sort of dancing and bobbing your head at the same time... doing it to a rhythm.

When I was younger I loved Snoop Dog, Tupac, and other west coast rappers of the time. East coast rappers always annoyed me. And, ever since "Around the Way Girl" by LL Cool J, I've been in love with him... and his sexy lips. But, I digress.

As for more recent artists, I think kjelsadek and I have very similar taste.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Ive noticed alot of good responses but i didnt see anyone say that Hip-Hop or "Rap" is essentially an extension and revised version of Jazz and that almost all of the Jazz elements are gone. I personally have been a fan of Hip-Hop since the early 90's, however in the late 90's i was introduced to a version of Hip-Hop that is in a level of its own, the so-called "Underground Hip-Hop" Now i dont mean the stuff like 50cents before he made money. it has very little relation in terms of lyrics to "main stream" hip-hop, plus it still keeps the basic underlying factor in music REAL INSTRUMENTS and an old favorite of mine "SCRATCHING" (turn tables). some of those artists are rather popular and well known such as:

Atmosphere
    ADM
    Visionaries
    Living Legends
    Unknown Prophets
    LA Symphony
    Old Dominion
    etc.

I have included some of the groups so that if anyone is interested can look up the individual artist that make up the goups. they are excellent and there lyrics are not about ($, cars, Females, Pimping, etc) the lyrics are usually based on lifes events or educational in some sense; some are funny but about 90 -95% curse free. its great and makes Hip-Hop stay alive at least in my eyes.

How many of you have heard a "rap" song ryhming to an acoustic guitar or a violin or even a piano? great stuff!!!

Now to clear up a point, not all songs include real instruments, but about 1/2 of them do and it jsut sounds great. A great example is a song from Look Daggers titled "Before you say no"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by evo8cfb View post
    Ive noticed alot of good responses but i didnt see anyone say that Hip-Hop or "Rap" is essentially an extension and revised version of Jazz and that almost all of the Jazz elements are gone. I personally have been a fan of Hip-Hop since the early 90's, however in the late 90's i was introduced to a version of Hip-Hop that is in a level of its own, the so-called "Underground Hip-Hop" Now i dont mean the stuff like 50cents before he made money. it has very little relation in terms of lyrics to "main stream" hip-hop, plus it still keeps the basic underlying factor in music REAL INSTRUMENTS and an old favorite of mine "SCRATCHING" (turn tables). some of those artists are rather popular and well known such as:

Atmosphere
    ADM
    Visionaries
    Living Legends
    Unknown Prophets
    LA Symphony
    Old Dominion
    etc.

I have included some of the groups so that if anyone is interested can look up the individual artist that make up the goups. they are excellent and there lyrics are not about ($, cars, Females, Pimping, etc) the lyrics are usually based on lifes events or educational in some sense; some are funny but about 90 -95% curse free. its great and makes Hip-Hop stay alive at least in my eyes.

How many of you have heard a "rap" song ryhming to an acoustic guitar or a violin or even a piano? great stuff!!!

Now to clear up a point, not all songs include real instruments, but about 1/2 of them do and it jsut sounds great. A great example is a song from Look Daggers titled "Before you say no"
    What your are talking about is part of why I'm not all that in to mainstream rap & hiphop, but tend to really enjoy alternative hip-hop because that sub-culture has kept more of the original art form, as far as lyricism and instrumentation.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Best Lyrics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 21 Oct 2005, 8:49 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Aug 2004, 1:46 PM
  3. Help - Country Music Lyrics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2