Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Calculating number of employees for hotel/conference center

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Calculating number of employees for hotel/conference center

I forecast future employment, and usually figure a certain number of employees per square foot of building per type. I usually figure 1 office employee per 300 feet, 1 industrial employee per 800 feet...does anyone have a standard for hotel conference center? Someone told me this morning that it is 1 employee per square foot, which I think is totally ridiculous, but maybe I am being dense.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I agree that 1/1 is ridiculous. When I have the out of the ordinary situation, I try to visit a similar facility and find out what's going on.

Full time staff is probably quite small. Full time equivalents would be the issue. I suspect that most centers have a lot of part time help as needed to setup, breakdown, provide food and beverage service, etc.

How often is the center utilized? Are services franchised out to existing employers? I don't think there is one set formula.

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997
    The figures The Town of Vail, Colorado has used for conference hotels in recent years are:

Conference space: 1/1000 sf
    Hotels: 1-1.25/room

We typically deduct mechanical spaces, etc. from the sf calculations and usually assess for ballrooms only since the break-out and pre-convene areas are an accessory 99% of the time.

The numbers are derived from a consultant's survey of dozens of existing conference hotels within Colorado's resort areas. We had a hard time finding any "employee generation manuals" so we paid someone to write one for our own needs.

The rates can vary depending on levels of customer service (i.e. "five star" vs. Holiday Inn) and our numbers may not be relevant in your neck of the woods since this area is in a desperate shortage of employees.

I think this topic would make for a great PAS Report if they're not already working on it.

Best of luck with your research. Send me an e-mail if you would like me to mail a copy of our study.

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997

Employee Generation for Conference Hotels

I just got some additional info from Snowmass Village. Their rates are:

Conference Center: 0.97 jobs/1000 interior sf
    Hotel: 0.44 jobs/room

I hope this is useful to you.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 May 2007, 7:54 PM
  2. Replies: 2