Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Spring Break Thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The Spring Break Thread

I read an article recently where the city of Palm Springs, CA is making Wagnerian overtures to try to reclaim the throngs (and thongs) of spring breakers once again. For years the residents griped about/dreaded the annual influx of rowdy and lewd college students and at one point went so far as to pass an ‘anti-thong’ ordinance (thank the late mayor, Sonny Bono). Fast forward 18 years and the bad economy has them longing for those awful good ol’ days.

I guess ambivalence over spring break touri$m isn’t unique to Palm Springs as other spring break destinations (Ft. Lauderdale, Steamboat Springs, Daytona Beach, etc.) seem to exude similar attitudes (spend your money, now get the hell out quick); most of them have a love-hate relationship with s.b.’ers. The recent rash of violence in Mexico may deter many students from travelling to Cancun or Cabo San Lucas, and many of the these communities are hoping to reclaim some of that lost revenue.

I have some fond and not so fond memories of spring break. One year I did the traditional thing and went to Daytona and engaged in all the traditional spring break activities. Another year I went to Alaska (thanks Uncle Sam) and tried something a bit more out of the ordinary. How about you? Did you ever ‘do’ the spring break bacchanal thang? Any interesting or unusual destinations or alternative spring break activities?

Last edited by Maister; 28 Mar 2013 at 9:27 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Undergrad - skiing at Sun Valley, Idaho. but that was 30 yrs ago.
    Grad - worked, could not afford to go anywhere.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    3 spring breaks i worked at my job. and finally senior year a bunch of us went to Cocoa Beach, FL. not your typical spring break destination, but there were still young people around for some fun and craziness.

what i don't understand is parents who allow their high school aged children to go on spring break in a foreign country with no chaperone.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've been to Southwest Florida with my family around Spring Break season (March/April) twice...once in middle school and once in high school. One time involved watching my brother play a series of college baseball games.

However, I haven't been on a spring break vacation with friends while in college yet. It's always been something I wanted to do, but I usually never have enough money. I really want to go next year sometime (my last year) if I'm able to secure enough private loan money. I haven't been on a real vacation in a long time and really need one. Don't think I'd want to do the whole partying scene though (I do that all the time here, I kinda need a break from that too), so I may pick a spot less popular with the rowdy college kids but still very warm and sunny.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have never been on a spring break that did not involve me staying at my Grandma's retirement community in sunny Sarasota, Florida for about 2 weeks with my parents.

Even when I was a senior in high school and most of my friends went to Myrtle Beach with no parents I still went to Grandma's and though my friends came back with some funny stories, I never felt like I really missed out on anything. Besides, my trip was always free, had plenty of good home-cooked food, there was a pool that was only occupied by me and a bunch of octogenarians and besides my Grandma, I had a bunch of great-aunts in the area who I only got to see once a year so they were always overly nice to me too.

Once I got to college, I again never went on a real spring break. I was always working full-time while I was a student. My buddy and I always talked about going to Austin, TX for SXSW for spring break but never got around to it.

Side note:
    When I was in the Marines and stationed at Camp Lejeune, we never missed an opportunity to take a long weekend a couple hours south in Myrtle Beach and help make sure that those who were on spring break had a good time!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The beach side of our town is a spring break destination and it's an ongoing subject of the pros/cons. Nobody who lives here will go over to the beach then unless they have to, and the people who live over there hate it. There have been a couple deaths/injuries, yet again, of drunk kids falling off balconies or alcohol poisoning, ugly photos of all the trash on the beach, etc. Ft Lauderdale and Daytona pretty much "policed" spring breakers out years ago.

This place has such a loyal contingent of families from Ga and Al, you'd think they'd be catering to them when the younger kids are out of school. I don't think it's the hotel industry driving the spring break crap, it's the clubs on the beach.

p.s. When I was in college in Mass, I didn't do "spring break", because I was coming home to FL anyways. That was nice.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Lauderdale Or "Bust"

This Bear never did the Spring Break Thing. Work, university, a marriage at an early age......the normal ties that prevent such an excursion. But, to give you young'n's an idea of the "sin or swim theory"'s early (and much-tamer) application, check out the attached trailer for the flick Where The Boys Are.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZyVB...rom=PL&index=2
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    For us ghetto kids spring break meant a chance to get some extra hours in @ work. That money came in handy to pay for a class or two over summer to help cover the fact that you could not afford to take a full course load during the fall or winter semesters.

Me bitter?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never did spring break either. Like others, it was a chance to get more work. I remember one year my ex GF and her roomies went to Florida. I stayed at their house and got blind drunk every night. I also stole $300 from someone's ATM card that they left in the machine.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Spring Break! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 30 Mar 2013, 3:13 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 10:02 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Mar 2005, 4:11 PM
  4. Replies: 42
    Last post: 25 Mar 2004, 12:37 PM