Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is there certification for 'professional transportation planners?

Registered
    Jun 2008

Is there certification for 'professional transportation planners?

I read something on wikipedia about certification for planners called "Professional Transportation Planner."

Is this required in some states? will this soon be a requirement?

Moderator note:
    (Gedunker) Thread moved from Make No Small Plans to Transportation Planning subforum.Thread title edited. Carry on!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 05 Apr 2009 at 12:05 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Never heard of it.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The Professional Transportation Planner (PTP) certification was recently (maybe two years ago) started by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) and the Transportation Professional Certification Board Inc. (PTCB). I haven't seen it required anywhere, but I believe the intent is that it will become similar to the PTOE, only for those who work in planning as opposed to engineering. I am not a PTP, but I believe that one of the goals is to try and provide some sort of certification for those who aren't doing engineering (even though they may be an engineer) and for those planners who are tyring to boost their credibility among engineers.

http://www.tpcb.org/ptp/default.asp
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by transguy View post
    The Professional Transportation Planner (PTP) certification was recently (maybe two years ago) started by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) and the Transportation Professional Certification Board Inc. (PTCB). I haven't seen it required anywhere, but I believe the intent is that it will become similar to the PTOE, only for those who work in planning as opposed to engineering. I am not a PTP, but I believe that one of the goals is to try and provide some sort of certification for those who aren't doing engineering (even though they may be an engineer) and for those planners who are tyring to boost their credibility among engineers.

http://www.tpcb.org/ptp/default.asp
    I checked the website. Seems pretty cheezy. Plus it's all engineers and engineering stuff. Nah! I'll stick to my MCIP.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 30 Dec 2009, 12:17 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 12:08 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 07 Mar 2007, 3:40 PM
  4. Professional certification
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Mar 2006, 12:50 PM