Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Relocating to Canada with an MA in Urban and Regional Planning

Registered
    Apr 2009

Relocating to Canada with an MA in Urban and Regional Planning

Hi

I am in the process of completing my MA in planning here in the UK and am seriously considering relocating to Canada primarily because of the cost of living here. By the time I make the big move (hopefully at the end of 2010) I would have had 4 years local authority (or municipal) experience as a development control planner. I may point out that Canada is not new to me as I did my undergraduate degree in Political Science there. My questions are

1. Is there a demand for planners with my level of experience in Canada? If so any particular areas ?

2. Given that there is some difference in the way the planning system works in Canada, is it best to do some sort of Canadian planning course ?

3. How much am i looking at salary wise....?

One of the my primary reasons for seeking to come back to Canada is because the money may not be fantastic but you can make a comfortable living - here the money may seem quite high but its difficult to actually save anything...

sorry for the long question...

Amy

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Amyru View post
    Hi

I am in the process of completing my MA in planning here in the UK and am seriously considering relocating to Canada primarily because of the cost of living here. By the time I make the big move (hopefully at the end of 2010) I would have had 4 years local authority (or municipal) experience as a development control planner. I may point out that Canada is not new to me as I did my undergraduate degree in Political Science there. My questions are

1. Is there a demand for planners with my level of experience in Canada? If so any particular areas ?
    Yes, depending on where you want to be. In general, the market is still good for planners with experience. Entry level is a bit harder.

2. Given that there is some difference in the way the planning system works in Canada, is it best to do some sort of Canadian planning course ?
    If you want to focus strictly on development planning, I would say yes.

3. How much am i looking at salary wise....?
    This will vary by region and employer...I would probably say between 40-50k/year for someone with 4 years experience in a medium to large sized city.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Thanks!

Hi Tranplanner,

Thank you so much - You have answered my immediate questions ... i think from what you are saying there is hope - I am doing more research in line with this -
    but really appreciate that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 13 Mar 2013, 12:11 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 3:10 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Mar 2006, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Jan 2004, 11:15 AM
  5. Replies: 0