Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your city's (un)official dog breed

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Your city's (un)official dog breed

My girlfriend in Cleveland has an Australian Cattle Dog, otherwise known as a Blue Heeler. She occasionally commented about how infrequently she would see other ACDs out in public, and it was a rare treat when another ACD showed up at the dog park.

In Austin, it;'s a different story. It's unusual when I go to the dog park and there's NOT an Australian Cattle Dog, if not two or more, among the pack. I was told yesterday that Austin's animal shelters and pounds are absolutely filled with ACDs. I see them on the streets everywhere. While they're not the most common dog, there seems to be a disproportionately large representation of them in the region. Considering their rarity nationally but their popularity in Austin, the Australian Cattle Dog seems to be the Official Dog of Austin.

In Buffalo, it's a different story, There's only one dog park, and it's in rough shape. Buffalo isn't a dog-friendly city; shops don't allow customers to bring their dogs inside, they're seldom seen on outdoor patios at restaurants, and there's not much of a dog culture compared to similarly sized metros. The types of dogs that are everywhere, at least compared to other cities I've been in? A mix so common it's almost it's own breed, one I call the Black and Tan Hound; a mix of German Doberman, Rottweiler, Labrador, and some other brown or black dog. Shortly behind, owing to the large population of blue-collar white ethnic senior citizens and elderly who are attracted to things that are "fancy" and "classy" : the Shih Tzu.

Does your city have an "official dog"; a breed that seems unusually common there compared to other parts of the country?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2007
    In San Francisco, by sheer numbers it's probably a tie between:

Shih Tzus (old money neighborhoods)
    Yorkies (yuppie neighborhoods)
    Dachshunds (yuppie/hipster neighborhoods)
    Border Collies (all over, mostly used by guys in parks to show off how their dog can catch frisbies)
    Pit Bulls ("Up-and-coming" neighborhoods)

The only dog that I notice all the time here that is rare elsewhere is the Bernese Mountain Dog. I see at least a few of these per day, and I can't recall ever seeing them in other places.

Also - it should be noted that it's acceptable in SF to bring your dog with you anywhere except places downtown (Financial District and Union Square shopping/dining area) and a few other touristy areas. In any of the neighborhoods it's expected that any decent restaurant will have a place outside to tie up your dog with a bowl of water nearby and treats available from the host/hostess or valet. In stores or coffee shops, you can just bring the dog in with you (takes some getting used to ).
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In Milwaukee, it's Golden or Chocolate Labs. The gay neighbors have 2 standard poodles. one white, one black. I knew they were gay before I met them.

My cairn terrier is likely to stand out in south Texas.

EDIT: My local corner pub allows dogs inside. It can be a very interesting happy hour.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Pit Bull types walked on giant link chains is common as are hunting dogs like terriers and labs. Out of shape people or teen girls seem to have various tiny, annoying, yippie dogs. Come to think of it, pitbills are annoying too, particularly when they chase you down the street!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Pit Bull types walked on giant link chains is common as are hunting dogs like terriers and labs. Out of shape people or teen girls seem to have various tiny, annoying, yippie dogs. Come to think of it, pitbills are annoying too, particularly when they chase you down the street!
    No offense, but that is a very Detriot answer.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Labs and Lab mixes are probably the most common dog around here. Malamutes are probably second. And of course on the back of just about every flatbed ranch truck is a mongrel sheep dog.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well considering that the National Greyhound Association makes this their home,
    I would have to say GREYHOUND but as far as out walking ???

My neighborhood has quite the mix. I couldn't say any one in particular.

Most cities here have either completely made it illegal or severly limited Pit Bulls.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'd have to say pit bulls. They seem to attack a lot of people around here.

I don't see dogs out and about here in town, except at outdoor events like the Mardi Gras parade, and then it's a real mix.

Some of the new Urbanism places west of here, like Seaside, seem to be very dog-friendly, with lots of patio dining spots where dogs are OK. But the dogs I see there tend to belong to the tourists and they're mostly little "tote-bag" dogs.

(Back in central FL, at Downtown Disney, lots of tourists brought their dogs and hauled them around all day in baby strollers. That was always odd to see. )

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    No offense, but that is a very Detriot answer.
    Why would I be offended? There is a mall here in town that caters specifically to the dog owner. This is for the folks who need to take their dogs to Nordstroms and show them off. It also seems to cater to those types who love to get drunk in chain restraunts (not a good mix). I went there once, it is truely a bizarre place. http://www.shoppartridgecreek.com/infodesk/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

A mix so common it's almost it's own breed, one I call the Black and Tan Hound; a mix of German Doberman, Rottweiler, Labrador, and some other brown or black dog.

A Black and Tan Hound is an actual breed...here is the AKC page
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/black_tan_coonhound/

My Black and Tan is often mistaken for a Doberman or Rotty...in fact seeing a Black and Tan in Phoenix is like seeing a ACD in Cleveland.

In Phoenix the unofficial dog is either the Pit Bull or the Chihuahua. They are everywhere. It fits since Phoenix is often playing catch up to cities like LA and Phoenicians are always looking to adopt the current trend...two years later.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't know but wouldn't it be cool if your town could lay claim to some rare/unusual breed?

Yes, I live in Pontiakazoo where that perrenial Belgian canal barge favorite - the Schipperke - is the official breed!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2006
    In my region I'd have to go with the pit bull. In my subidivision it is a hodge-podge, and I can't think of any two households with the same type of dog. Neighborhood dogs include a Cockerpoo, a Lab, a Pit Bull, a Shiba Inu, a Border Collie, and my Chihuahua.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    The only dog that I notice all the time here that is rare elsewhere is the Bernese Mountain Dog. I see at least a few of these per day, and I can't recall ever seeing them in other places.
    Maybe it's an upper-income urban thing, but I see alot of Berneses in Chicago's fancy neighborhoods and in the upper-income first ring suburbs (Oak Park, Evanston).

Additionally, you see these upper-income couples with multiple large dogs (big Labs, Goldens, Berneses, Malamutes, Huskies, German Shepards, Great Danes, etc.). Though, it's usually the DINKs.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    In my subidivision it is a hodge-podge, and I can't think of any two households with the same type of dog.
    Same here. Our town is too large for me to make a blanket statement about local dog breeds, but our neighborhood dogs include Golden Retriever, Springer Spaniel, Welsh Corgi, Pit Bull, and a little yappy dog of unknown origin across the street.

Off-topic: I am taking Cassidy to "puppy playtime" tomorrow. Hopefully it'll help her burn off some of that energy!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Maybe it's an upper-income urban thing, but I see alot of Berneses in Chicago's fancy neighborhoods and in the upper-income first ring suburbs (Oak Park, Evanston)
    When I lived in Denver, it seemed like 50% of all dogs were Labs. However, they weren't just Labs, but "Field Labs" and "Show Labs". Far more than once, I've gotten into a conversation with someone at a Denver-area dog park, where they described the extensive retriever training their Field Lab had. Odds are the dog will never be taken on a hunt; it's just a status thing among Denver's outdoorsy yuppies.

As some of you know, I have two Portuguese Water Dogs. I used to see PWDs everywhere in Denver, groomers were familiar with the breed, and there are several well-regarded breeders in the area. Since I left Denver, it'll usually be months between the times I come across other PWDs.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Here in Greenville, SC the breed of choice seems to be boxers - there is usually one, if not 2 or 3 when we go to the dog park. I don;t see as many of the sporting breeds as I used to see in NS.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Maybe it's an upper-income urban thing, but I see alot of Berneses in Chicago's fancy neighborhoods and in the upper-income first ring suburbs (Oak Park, Evanston).
    My ex's BFF raises and shows Berneses as a living. She makes about $50k a year. She kicks butt at it. And yes'm the are fancy dogs. But she lives in Stevens Point, WI. And yes, did i say she kicks butt at it?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Zoning: the city's foe.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Jul 2005, 1:23 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 20 Apr 2005, 11:17 PM
  3. Happy Birthday Breed!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 08 Apr 2005, 12:58 PM