Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How is the urban planning market right now?

Registered
    Jun 2008

How is the urban planning market right now?

Is now the right time to get a Masters Degree in Urban Planning?

I heard a lot of positions were dependent on the real estate market but now that it collapsed developers arent developing, so they don't need rezonings, variances, etc. Government money is dried up so city's are on hiring freezes.

Any truth to this?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    I'm not sure where you got your information ...but they are right, the recession has impacted the real estate market, yes and local govs have less revenues since property values are down and there are less proposed projects because no one can get financin. Therefore companies and govare are not hiring planners or replacing those who leave. Its a great time to be in school.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Job market is tough for entry level, and very competitive for everything else. Just being the real estate market crashed doesn't mean rezonings, comp plans, and other large scale projects are moving forward. Now is a good as time as any for munis to get move their long range planning agenda forward for the next cycle. When applying, bring you "A" game and just keep applying and don't get to discouraged.
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TheWorks View post
    Is now the right time to get a Masters Degree in Urban Planning?

I heard a lot of positions were dependent on the real estate market but now that it collapsed developers arent developing, so they don't need rezonings, variances, etc. Government money is dried up so city's are on hiring freezes.

Any truth to this?
    Be careful though, things might not improve within the next few years either. See other posts.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2002
    I think it depends out your geographical area, but I can say that Michigan and Kentucky are poor states to try and start a planning career in right now.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    I think it depends out your geographical area, but I can say that Michigan and Kentucky are poor states to try and start a planning career in right now.
    Add metropolitan regions where even the largest incorporated communities don't have planning departments, or else have one-man shops. Anyplace in upstate new York or northern and northeastern Ohio: bad during the good times, and utterly impossible now.

A few years ago, grads could be picky about where they would do their "three and out" - their first job. Now, I'd encourage new grads to consider jobs in boring third-tier and fourth-tier metros and micropolitan areas. Planners might have turned up their nose at a place like Wichita Falls, Texas or Pine Bluff, Arkansas a few years ago. Now, it's probably a different story.

Even then, if the pay is insultingly low, please don't humor such employers with an application. It only encourages them to keep planning salaries low compared to other professions with a similar level of education.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. People per urban food market
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 May 2011, 2:02 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 May 2010, 10:12 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Apr 2008, 2:19 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Nov 2007, 12:55 PM