Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Point system for commercial site and building plan approval

Registered
    Mar 2009

Point system for commercial site and building plan approval

Can anyone point me to community ordinances where a point system is used to evaluate commercial site and building plan approval? Thanks!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Please give more direction as to what exactly such a system is intended to accomplish. You're being too vague.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Some communities use a point system to evaluate commercial site and building plans. Under those systems the developer needs to obtain a certain number of points before there project is approved. Points can be for improved building materials, landscaping, greenspace, etc. Our community is looking to improve our present approval system. In particular we are having difficulities with building color and signage and looking for new ways to approach project approval. Hope this helps.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    I would be wary of using a points system in this manner. If you want to have control over what is and what is not required of a builder of developer, this may not be a good choice. For instance, a builder could obtain points for certain materials or colors used, but the landscaping or access routes are not what you'd like to see on the site. However, they somehow reached the minimum number of point necessary to have "automatic" approval, and so you really can't do much about it.

Is it really worth it to make the system more automatic, and easier, when sacrificing a lot of the human analytical planning element?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Try

Westminster Colorado.....they had a strict beauty contest years ago for residential development based on a point system......not sure about now though.....It really drove the prices through the roof and created an affordability issue for everyone else around them, but THANK GAWD for Federal Heights Colorado right
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 12 Jun 2013, 6:18 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Aug 2009, 2:11 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Feb 2007, 9:49 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Dec 2006, 9:03 AM
  5. Replies: 4