Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Junkers I've owned

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Perhaps this says something about the Big 3?
    Yep. They know how to get the essentials right. Really right. The rest of the vehicle can be falling apart around those essentials, and they keep on ticking...

(I know that's not where you were expecting that to go...)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Junkers & Da Bear

This Bear has held title to quite a few vehicles. In my younger days I held title to some classic cars.....and a few junkers......

1954/1955 (don't remember what year) Willys Sedan. I had a daily long commute from Toledo to Bowling Green State University and back. Always had trouble with that car, including not even having enough gumption to climb a hill.....an expressway overpass.

1958 & 1959 DeSoto Firedome & Fireflite.....Both of these cars had huge powerpacks, capable of providing over 120 miles an hour in a matter of seconds. They also had underbelly rust holes big enough to drop the beer bottles and cans through. On one of these "Rust-otos" I had to use steel banding to hold the gasoline tank up or it would drag.

1961 Buick.....This was one of less than one-thousand stick-shift manual transmissions Buicks made in that model year. I was cruising through downtown BG one day and shifting the column shifter in an upward motion to another gear and the handle came off in my hand. I went to the Bowling Green Buick dealer and ordered the new linkage for the shift lever. The dealer told me about the short-run history of the vehicle and said that he would be surpised if they could even find the parts. They never did. Until the car was history, I used vice grips to change gears.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    My sky blue 67 Chevelle was no junker . . .

Registered
    Jul 2003
    The day my husband and I filed for divorce, he went and bought himself a truck. I kept the only car we had: A black Corsica.. It was paid for and I didn't know when I would get a job, so I didn't want to be saddled with a car payment.

A lot of paint had peeled off while we lived in the Mojave Desert. It was down to bare metal in places.

One of the back windows would fall when rolled down. We tried to avoid rolling down.

The AC was not factory, it was added after we bought car. It ate alternators for a long time until my brother my fixed it. They had never properly upgraded the alternator to account for the additional load of the AC (or something like that). We went through six alternators one year.

A few months after my ex moved out, I was rear-ended in a hit-and-run accident. The driver's seat came loose. I had to have it replaced. I didn't bother to get the bumper repaired.

The rear view mirror fell off the windshield every couple of years. I got pretty good at gluing it back on.

The button on the parking brake broke. Twice. We replaced it the first time but decided it wasn't worth the expense the second time. So I effectively had no parking brake. I just got pickier about where and how I parked it.

The car lasted as long as it did because of all the work my brother put into it over the years, any time I was home visiting. When I got a job, I went and got a new car because I wasn't supposed to miss any work during the first 3 or 4 months during training and my car was pretty unreliable at that point. I handed the keys over to my brother and told him he could do whatever he wanted with it, he just had to go back to the car lot and get it. I had left it parked there when I drove my new car home. Some gal he knows has it now. She has put hubcaps on it (which it hadn't had in some time) and used canned spray paint to cover up the bare metal.

Well I'm pretty young compared to most of you, so it wasn't too long ago when I had my first car - a 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva.

The car overheated on the way home from the dealership. Turns out, that would be its downfall. We (as in me and my dad) replaced a pump and installed a new radiator to fix it that first time. Didn't overheat for a while after that. But the instrument gauge started acting screwy - the check engine light was on constantly for the two years that I had the car. Also, the odometer quit working at 140,000 miles. So we went to the junkyard, gutted the instrument panel out of another Oldsmobile and installed the new one.

Then the overheating problem happened again next summer. So we ended up replacing the entire intake manifold (ourselves, we didn't get a mechanic to do it).

The power windows quit working, so we, being the do-it-our-selfers that we are, replaced the power window motor ourselves.

Then last November, I was in Nashville and the car just died on me, completely. I had blown a head gasket. I left the car on the side of the interstate with the intent of trying to get it to start back up in the morning. When I returned, I found that somebody had thrown a brick through my back window (must've been the Obama-Biden bumper sticker I had on the car - after all, it was Nashville and it was the weekend just before the election).

To make a VERY long story short, let's just say that we twisted some nuts and bolts together to get the car up and running enough to make it back to Huntsville, and eventually onward to Birmingham.

Whew! Now I drive another 1998 Oldsmobile (this one's a different model though, the Eighty-Eight). It hasn't given me a single problem yet (though at only 76,500 miles, I should hope it doesn't). I love this car to death. It is bigger and more luxurious than most cars that typical college students drive, and I baby the car like nothing else I've ever owned. It'll be paid off in about 15 months or so, and I definitely intend to drive it through grad school. It only cost me $4,000 (which is a STEAL, in my opinion). I always thought it was crazy how two cars made by the exact same company and proudced in the same model year could be so different...........but the difference is mechanical.

The Acheiva ran on GM's 3.1 liter (3100) V6 engine, a piece of sh*t motor if there ever was one. Every car they put that engine in, from the Buick Skylark to the Chevy Lumina, has the same problems - they overheat too easily.

The 88 runs on GM's tried-and-true 3800 V6 - one that the company has been using since the 1960s (which I was surprised to find out - I thought back in those days, all they ever made were V8s).

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    The 88 runs on GM's tried-and-true 3800 V6 - one that the company has been using since the 1960s (which I was surprised to find out - I thought back in those days, all they ever made were V8s).

The 3800 is bullet proof. A GM dealer I knew drained the oil and water out of a Buick Le Saber and tried to kill it. It ran so long that he eventually got bored and gave up.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    A city I worked for had siezed a Toyota pick up in a drug bust. They kept it for the city forester that I supervised. As much of a wreck that it was, it ran great. I found some old park & rec logos in a storage rom and slapped them on the doors, in an attempt to embarrass the City Counsil to get us a new truck. Didn't work.

That reminded me - the city of Fairfield, Alabama (a working class suburb of Birmingham) used to do something that would make it the butt of jokes all around the metro area - in an effort to save city dollars, the city did not buy police cars. They had a police force, but would never buy police cars. Instead, they would simply use whatever cars were seized in arrests (usually drug busts) and simply slap some red-and-blue lights on there along with the Fairfield Police logo, and call it a squad car. They really didn't care what kind of car it was. I once saw a Geo Metro that had been converted to a squad car.

Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    The 3800 is bullet proof. A GM dealer I knew drained the oil and water out of a Buick Le Saber and tried to kill it. It ran so long that he eventually got bored and gave up.

That's good news for me! As you can probably tell, in my family I learned to drive a car until the wheels fall OFF. We were definitely not like the typical American family (buy a new car every 2-3 years so you don't have to do any real maintenance on it).

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The Acheiva ran on GM's 3.1 liter (3100) V6 engine, a piece of sh*t motor if there ever was one. Every car they put that engine in, from the Buick Skylark to the Chevy Lumina, has the same problems - they overheat too easily.
    That was the death of my '95 Lumina as well, I replaced the thermostat, something with the water pump too. It worked just fine for the highway driving I did. I drove it 60K miles over 2.5 years. I'd say that's a pretty good return on my investment of $1500.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    That was the death of my '95 Lumina as well, I replaced the thermostat, something with the water pump too. It worked just fine for the highway driving I did. I drove it 60K miles over 2.5 years. I'd say that's a pretty good return on my investment of $1500.
    Yeah I only paid $2,000 for my Acheiva and maybe $1,000 in repairs (because we did everything ourselves), so I'd say the same thing for mine as well.

They say your first car is a bang-around kind of car, and I definitely banged that one around. Hit a couple of cars while I had it (not to mention a couple of stationery objects as well). I paid my dues!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Yeah I only paid $2,000 for my Acheiva and maybe $1,000 in repairs (because we did everything ourselves), so I'd say the same thing for mine as well.

They say your first car is a bang-around kind of car, and I definitely banged that one around. Hit a couple of cars while I had it (not to mention a couple of stationery objects as well). I paid my dues!
    I ran over an already dead deer on a back country highway in SC one dark night. The alignment was never the same after that. I crash tested the Jeep in February, it won without a scratch. The other car didn't fare so well.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Our Lumina has the 3.1.

We did have to have an intake manifold gasket put in it, about 100,000 miles ago...

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I ran over an already dead deer on a back country highway in SC one dark night. The alignment was never the same after that. I crash tested the Jeep in February, it won without a scratch. The other car didn't fare so well.

Any southerner (like yours truly) could've told you that that is exactly the reason why you only take interstates and expressways if at all possible at night.

But no seriously, hitting a deer can kill you. I would only take a rural back road at night as a last resort.

@ digger -

See that's the crap I'm talking about. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think a major repair like that should have to be made at 100,000 miles. Nowadays you have cars that run perfectly at well over 200k or even 300k. There's no excuse.

I grew up on GM, and I stay loyal to the company and try to defend it whenever possible. I drive a GM, and have only driven GMs (or at least I've only owned GMs). But they simply cannot continue to put out junk. Both them and Chrysler are on the brink of extinction because of their inability to keep up with foreign competition. On the other hand, Ford has a slew of innovative, technologically advanced products ready for the showroom that not only holds its own against the Toyotas and Hondas of the world, but in some cases is outdoing them. Ford will be around for quite some time; GM is questionable, and Chrysler is a basket case. I truly believe that Chrysler will not exist 12 months from now, but that's a topic for a whole nother thread........I don't want to go off on a tangent.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    @ digger -

See that's the crap I'm talking about. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think a major repair like that should have to be made at 100,000 miles. Nowadays you have cars that run perfectly at well over 200k or even 300k. There's no excuse.
    Go back up and re-read my first post. That repair happened at something approaching 200,000 miles. And that's the only time anyone has ever been inside that engine. I'm happy enough with that...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Enforcement Government owned properties
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Feb 2013, 8:12 PM
  2. The worst POS car you've ever owned
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 31 Mar 2011, 9:12 PM
  3. Junkers