Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to forum... who knows about UIC?

Registered
    Mar 2009

New to forum... who knows about UIC?

Hi all,

This is a great forum and I'm sad I've just discovered it. Anyways, I've applied to UIC MUPP for fall 2009. Still haven't heard anything... not even a confirmation that they've received my credentials. Has anyone heard anything from them? Also, does anyone know how competitive it is to get in? I have a 3.2 from U of Illinois Champaign. Their website says they only consider your last 60 hours... is this true? Then the GPA would be more like 3.6.

Let me know! Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    i applied but have not heard anything - although i did get an email saying they'd received all my materials. have you called about that?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I haven't seen anyone say that they'd heard back from UIC.

I received an email from them on Feb. 11th stating that they had gotten all of my materials and admissions will be sent by April 15.

This might be too late for me.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I definitely submitted everything before Jan 1, but haven't heard anything at all from their office. I've been hesitant to email them again because it says very boldly on their website "Don't email about individual credentials!!" I think I will... I'm very worried now considering you guys got an email over a month ago.

Also, do you think I have a shot with these stats? I'm getting very worried I might not get in...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by emmy44 View post
    ...do you think I have a shot with these stats?
    it's impossible to tell. admissions is a partly subjective process.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    For those of you that did receive a confirmation email from UIC, when did you submit your materials? Hazel Brown is not returning my emails or phone calls at the moment...

Registered
    Mar 2009
    For those of you who have received confirmation from UIC, when did you submit your materials? Is it rude to call and inquire about why I haven't heard anything? I'm not getting any responses to my emails.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    For those of you who have received confirmation from UIC, when did you submit your materials? Is it rude to call and inquire about why I haven't heard anything? I'm not getting any responses to my emails.
    i think i sent mine in in mid-December.

for checking the status of your credentials have you checked their website?

http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/prospec...ck_status.html

Registered
    Mar 2009

First I've seen that

I got an email on Feb 11 saying my application was complete and under review (I applied at the end of December). The email did not have any of that login information specified in that link. Have heard only crickets since then. I'd like to call but it sounds like that has been ineffective. Kind of frustrating if other programs want to know before April 15. Extra frustrating since UIC was the first school I applied to and have heard from everywhere else. Extra Extra frustrating is applying by January 1 gets you a decision by April 15, whereas applying by March 15 gets you a decision by May 1.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I submitted everything at the very beginning of December, and I'm beginning to think that was pointless. I'm going on four months of waiting for the school I really like. I too have heard from everyone else. I emailed Hazel Brown a few weeks ago, and actually got a response. It is worth a try to get them to move a little quicker, but my guess is we may be waiting until April 15th. Good news is they include financial info with the decision. Bad news is I have a feeling funding might be pretty low this year.

I'm in the same boat... but I attended the UIUC open house a couple weeks ago and decided that I want to go back to Urbana/Champaign to get my masters... so I committed there a couple weeks ago.

I'm interested to see if I get anything from UIC... but I feel pretty good about my chances for an assistantship at Illinois... and I found out last week I have a tuition waver (son of a veteran) if I don't get a RA or TA gig... so I'm 100+ % committed to UIUC now.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    K well I guess as soon as anyone hears anything... let us know!

Registered
    May 2008
    I definitely submitted everything before Jan 1, but haven't heard anything at all from their office. I've been hesitant to email them again because it says very boldly on their website "Don't email about individual credentials!!" I think I will... I'm very worried now considering you guys got an email over a month ago.

Also, do you think I have a shot with these stats? I'm getting very worried I might not get in...
    I'm in the exact same boat: everything submitted and I've confirmed that they received transcripts via the online status page AND that they got my additional materials -- signed by Hazel Brown, in fact... and not a peep from them. I haven't even gotten a confirmation that they've received everything (even though their site says that everyone who submitted all credentials by the deadline should hear at least that they've received them by April 1).

I've tried to contact them despite their advice not to, and have yet to hear anything. I'm on the verge of giving up and accepting another offer.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I called the department today. At least as I heard, decision will be made by next week. She said "sure" about my confirming question, but I doubt a little... I had never thought about same thing happening in UIC this year as Berkeley in the last year.

Registered
    May 2008
    Thanks for the update, urbanFOB. As it turns out, I couldn't hold out any longer, so I've accepted another offer in the meantime. In any case, I'm pretty disappointed in UIC's delay and lack of communication, and unfortunately, I can't help but think that it reflects on the folks in charge of the operation there. Best of luck to everyone!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    I've accepted elsewhere--- it's two days before 4/15, sheesh! I kind of want my application fee back

Registered
    May 2008
    Something is definitely very odd here. Last year (according to data at thegradcafe), people heard back about the MUPP program in early March, via e-mail. I can understand where an increased application backlog could gum things up, but for over a month? I doubt that we're talking about an exponential increase in apps. Wonder what's going on?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Just got an email from UIC notifying me of my acceptance to the program. It looks like they're asking people for a decision by May 15th.

Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by bessymarch View post
    Just got an email from UIC notifying me of my acceptance to the program. It looks like they're asking people for a decision by May 15th.
    Yeah, just got mine too. Nice to know that I got in, but it's a formality, really... good luck to those who are headed to Chicago!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    got in just now...no aid. i already accepted at UCLA on saturday.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    In as well, no aid, not accepting offer. That was my last school; so glad this process is all done!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    What time did you guys get the email? No word for me yet... thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2009

UIC

Got into UIC about an hour ago. Would have liked the option to stay in Chicago, but I've already accepted at Michigan. Go Blue!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Congrats on the acceptances, everyone! This may sound silly... but for those of you who have accepted elsewhere, could you please consider turning down your UIC acceptances sooner rather than later? Hopefully that will open up some spots for those of us still waiting!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I have also been accepted to UIC, with no aid. I have already decided to attend McGill in the fall ... its too bad it took so long to hear back... a few months ago UIC was my first choice!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New on the forum
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Aug 2012, 8:33 AM
  2. Architecture forum
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 3:38 AM
  3. New to the Forum