Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: BZA member Veloise

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

BZA member Veloise

It's official. My city commissioner put something on my Facebook page.

Not an elected position, so I had no campaigning to do. "We'll approve her as an alternate so she can learn the ropes." Yeah, right. I've written BZA minutes, presented to them (various munis), provided staff opinions, interpreted the ordinances...

First meeting is tomorrow, coincidentally mitigating a trip to the home office and an abruptly-scheduled meeting with the consultants. (Been driving there for six weeks, to attend [cancelled] meetings and find out that I have no computer access. Bad planning.)

I won't be upset at all if the local paper runs a piece like this one. Not one little bit. (This is not me.)
    http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi..._mary_ang.html

The city's timing is perfect, coinciding with me declining the HR dept's "offer" to re(re)locate to Day-Twah just yesterday.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Ropes = Politics, remember that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Congrats! Whip those BZA folks into shape.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congrats from this Bear.

What's a BZA?

(Non-planner types often play here.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004
    Board of Zoning Appeals.

Let's say you want to put a cellular flagpole up at a school, but it's not a permitted use, and the Planning Commission (first step) turns you down. Brain cancer, children playing, property values, the usual nimby reasons. Next stop is the BZA, a quasi-judicial body whose decisions carry the force of law. They can approve your non-conforming use despite what it stated in the zoning ordinance.

Other examples abound, but that was an agenda item the last time I attended. (Someone else's tower, not mine.)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Board of Zoning Appeals.
    You west-coasters are so backwards. Hasn't anybody told the Luddite Puritans out there that it's ZBA and not BZA?

I'm just wasting bandwidth but I have honestly never seen it as BZA.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Congratulations. I assume that they abide by the criteria for meeting a variance.
    I noticed the comments in the news article, and assume that this is from the local "Welcome Wagon"

Congrats Vel.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004

First meeting is today (RJ-ing!)

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    You west-coasters are so backwards. Hasn't anybody told the Luddite Puritans out there that it's ZBA and not BZA?

I'll be sure to tell them that.

Wasting bandwith is a great way to achieve higher clubbbbbe levels, I've heard.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Board of Zoning Appeals
    Here in Texas it is the Zoning Board of Adjustment, but we usually refer to it as the BOA in my community. Think we had Board of Zoning Appeals back in Indiana.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jun 2003

That is we call it because that is what it is in the State Code.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Here in Texas it is the Zoning Board of Adjustment, but we usually refer to it as the BOA in my community. Think we had Board of Zoning Appeals back in Indiana.
    In Kentucky, they are called BOA-Board of Adjustments.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congrats and condolences!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001

The Michigan Zoning Enabling Act consistently calls it the "Zoning Board of Appeals." The lawyers I've worked with since the new act in 2006 made sure all updates were consistently ZBA. No BZAs were allowed in the new text. Just saying.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Congrats! And good luck at your first meeting.

Registered
    May 2004
    It was fascinating. I stayed for the whole meeting (three hours), and awoke more brain cells than I have in the last three months of chair-warming at work.

Several sign variances, including two applications from a development team I worked with and got to know pretty well when installing rooftop antennas atop their one building. (No need to recuse; I was not voting.) They want an extension on their banners hawking CONDOS OPEN HOUSE SUNDAY PHONE NUMBER TAX FREE. These have been up since before there was a sign application, so part of the conditions is: file for a permit, and pay for it.

A pole sign variance from Huge Parking Co. "This is our standard sign, we use it all over the city." However, in this district, ground signs are prevalent. Applicant derided those as "tombstones," which did not help. Denied.

First guy up owns a teeny narrow lot with an oddly catawampus house and a carport that overhangs the property line. Wants to enclose it due to safety (pedestrians, loitering). Approved.

Huge Christian College wants a variance on "family" so as to allow eight undergrads and two adult mentors to all live in one upgraded house. Hey, how come the building was expanded and enlarged before all y'all got our approval? College played the hardship card; they need eight students to make the numbers work. Neighbors played the parking card. Tabled.

Bonus: good conversations with the established board members during the (free) lunch. "What is the Bicycle Summit?" asked one, which I addressed. I had more verbal interplay in the first fifteen minutes than I have all month. (I live alone, human-wise, and there's no one to talk to at work.)

Got to see a couple of my city buddies (former colleagues from the planning department...I was a seasonal temp for several months in '04-05). Ditched the four-wheeler at home, saddled up and rode there.

This was followed by the opening reception for the Friends of the GR Parks (rode there), which sucked a Grant (presidential portrait) out of my resources but netted me a T-shirt. And a hug from my city commissioner. And FTF meet-ups with several Facebook friends. And table-sharing with a family; the two little kids (4 and 6) did puzzles with me.

Can I do this again tomorrow?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Veloise joins Teh Clubbbbe
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 13 May 2012, 9:45 AM
  2. Happy Birthday Veloise
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 10 Dec 2010, 9:22 PM
  3. Veloise is in the Clubbbe!