Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MURP programs- design v. policy

MURP programs- design v. policy

I've been working in both transportation policy and planning. I've been debating between an MPP/MPA and an MURP grad program for a while, and recently started leaning toward the planning programs. I'm particularly interested in those with more of a policy emphasis than design. Does anyone have advice on which programs fit that description? It seems that Harvard is more focused on design, but I'm not sure about others. I also know they have the option for the MPP/MUP. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2008
    You're not very clear here about your goal. Is your goal to stick with transportation planning/policy? The question is if you already have a planning job, why get a planning degree? An MPA is much more useful to move up into management. MPP isn't quite as useful, it's more of an academic degree. If you want to know more about transportation, an M.S. in Transportation might be more useful.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I am late to this game but I'd recommend an MPP for transportation planning. But the important thing is to be able to learn about transportation in the particular program.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Feb 2013, 8:55 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 5:58 AM
  3. Looking into MURP programs
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Jul 2009, 12:10 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jul 2006, 11:54 PM