Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Chet returns to civilian life on Cyburbia

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Chet returns to civilian life on Cyburbia

Message board moderators are put in an unenviable position of setting the mood for the rest of the site, and setting an example for the rest of an online community to follow. Moderators are human, of course, and we're not always perfect, but we try to hold ourselves to a higher standard, given our role as community leaders.

Unfortunately, one of our moderators, Chet, got involved in a conflict between two users. While moderators either try to avoid or ease interpersonal conflicts between users or groups, Chet's participation only served to escalate it.

Despite warnings from other moderators, his actions continued. During the morning of Wednesday, May 13, Chet was suspended for three days by one of the Forums moderators. Although Chet's actions might have been walking a fine line if it was perpetrated by another user, as one moderator said in the mod forum, "[moderators] help promote civility and diminish conflict - not create it." This is the second time Chet was suspended; the first time was last September.

Chet requested to be "de-modded", and later that night I changed the status of his account from "moderator" to "Cyburbian". Along with the de-modding, his suspension was lifted.

Chet was one of the original moderators on Cyburbia, and I thank him for his years of service to this community, and in turn, the planning community. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the APA conference in Denver several years ago, and he's an all-around good guy. I think others who have met him would agree.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Thanks Chet for your efforts in making this board a wonderful asset to the planning community.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    Thanks Chet for your efforts in making this board a wonderful asset to the planning community.
    What he said.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well....

Chet try to enjoy moderator retirement with a virtual Mai Tai on me....
    Last edited by The One; 14 May 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: If god were a woman, she'd have huge boobs.....and be blonde
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I concur. Thanks for all you have done, and will continue to do.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What he said.
    What he said.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks Dan and others.

For others, I also explained to Dan that, frankly, I was too busy to dedicate the necessary level of effort to be an effective moderator anyways, and it wasn't fair to him or anyone else on the site to have the priviledges without the effort on my part.

It was a good run!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A Cyburbia Memorial Celebrating Chet
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Mar 2011, 4:46 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Jan 2009, 10:58 AM
  3. Replies: 54
    Last post: 16 May 2005, 3:34 PM