Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Preparing students for private/public sector jobs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Preparing students for private/public sector jobs

Hi,

I'm the new event coordinator for the urban planning student association at my university, Concordia, in Montreal. along with the other new officers I have proposed to include workshops on subjects not offered in the university and needed in a professional setting. I'd like to get some input from professional planners or current students. Tell me what you think isn't covered enough in school and is needed!

-Computer programs:
    Currently our school uses ArcGIS, Google Sketch-up pro and the Photoshop.
    But I find sketch up to be very limited, full of bugs and overall a mediocre product.
    What kind of programs do pros use?
    I was looking at this program CityCAD and I'm thinking of getting a trial version for my school.
    Any recommendations?

-Intro to Civil/building engineering, Architecture and other fields:
    Currently not offered at the school.
    I'd like to know what kind of interactions you guys have with other professionals during projects.
    I took 3 years of building engineering and I think it would be very useful if other students understood that you can't just add another floor to a building because it looks pretty.

-Urban planning politics and business:
    Get some case studies on what really goes on in the planning world. How much do planners really have to say on projects. I was reading another thread, where the author was saying that he wishes school were teaching not just the theories behind planning but the really world processes.
    Last edited by JeromeRaymond; 21 Apr 2009 at 7:41 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Welcome to Cyburbia! Just to put on my mod hat for a second ...

Moderator note:
    Quote Originally posted by JeromeRaymond View post
    Note: already posted in the Career Dev. section. Hope that's OK
    From the Forum rules:

2.5 Multiposting / crossposting
    A new message or thread may be posted only once, in one subforum. Crossposting in multiple threads or subforums is not permitted.

Carry on.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    It just got deleted there...

Registered
    Apr 2009
    I am all about the generalist education. I think GIS is crucial nowadays, and at least a knowledge of CAD can oftentimes get you the job. I wish I had studied CAD in my undergrad - a pain in the butt, but totally useful. As far as the engineering aspect, regardless of if you work in the public sector or private sector, it is incredibly helpful and makes you feel like a lot less of a dum-dum if you understand the engineering lingo and can walk your way around a site plan, storm water plan, road layout without feeling totally lost.

I'm all for it. I think at least having the ability to smile and nod and actually understand the gist of what other people are saying is incredibly helpful in this field. I know it helped me make a lot of engineering/consultant buddies when I was working in the public sector. In planning, you're going to work with people from all backgrounds, so it always helps to understand the language.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 13 Jun 2008, 10:56 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Nov 2007, 4:19 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 3:27 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 May 2000, 1:55 PM