Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Earth Day and Administrative Professionals Day

Earth Day and Administrative Professionals Day

There is symmetry to today being Earth Day and Administrative Professionals Day. But, I'd have to leave it to Maister or ofos or otterpop to explain the symmetry to you since it's beyond me.

In any event, this is a reminder for you luggards out there that rely on your AA: he/she's probably hopeful you'll do something for him/her. So, don't say you haven't been reminded.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    $%^& - thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    There is symmetry to today being Earth Day and Administrative Professionals Day. But, I'd have to leave it to Maister or ofos or otterpop to explain the symmetry to you since it's beyond me.
    I already did. Weren't you paying attention, or was the explanation beyond you? Hell, 5th graders on the planet Blazoopar are required to explain this before being allowed to go on to 6th grade.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Instead of getting flowers for our ladies this year, we're doing a hotdogs and hamburgers lunch. Since I'm a vegetarian, I guess I'll have to bring a blackbean burger!

My question is, since there is in Administrative Professionals Day and a Bosses Day, but what about just a Professionals Day? I'm thankful for two of our "AA's" (we lump our Planning Services Coordinator, Director's Assistant, and Permit Tech in that catagory), but they end up pawning stuff off on me because I'm younger than everyone in the office. I must be bitter.

We give thanks to those that do a lot of work and get paid crap. Then we give thanks to those who get paid a lot of money to sit in meetings all day and use their Blackberries 24/7. What about having a "I'm Just a Regular Employee" Appreciation Day?

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I already did. Weren't you paying attention, or was the explanation beyond you? Hell, 5th graders on the planet Blazoopar are required to explain this before being allowed to go on to 6th grade.
    How could I forget "sarn doda seebu"? I need to get a check-up: the mind must be going faster than I originally thought.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    thanks for the reminder. i spoke with the boss and he's getting our two AA a planter basket and card. not much, but it is something.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I might have appreciated the attribution of a portion of that explanation to me had it been correctly and concisely stated. Incidentally, Blazoopar uses a decrementing grade scheme so Maister's explanation causes their children to be demoted for promoting intellectual sophistry.

The actual symmetry between Earth Day and Administrative Professionals Day is that both are nearly universally ignored by planners.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Never under-estimate the power of Lemon Bars after the boss takes them out for lunch.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    The actual symmetry between Earth Day and Administrative Professionals Day is that both are nearly universally ignored by planners.
    See. This is yet another example why ofos is the Sage of Cyburbia, IMO.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I have problems with Earth Day in practice being "Green" Day, and just with environmentalism being overtaken by the [Deep Ecology-based socio-political, almost religious-in-nature] Green movement in general.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In honor of Administrative Professionals Day I treated my administrative staff (dogs) to some yummy pieces of chicken.

In honor of Earth Day I picked up some dogwood and sumac bushes to plant in the yard.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Instead of flowers, I got my Admin (who quit, so that's awkward) a plant that she can enjoy and then plant in her yard!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Inquiring minds want to know...

Was this a Morticia Addams dead plant? A Wally world special with the price tag still on? oh wait, Easter leftover from the Home Depot scratch & dent rack.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    hahaha - no, I take the high road - it's only in here that I go into the gutter, really, honest!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

So why did she quit?

Was the potted plant an accessory to the event, or just incidental??

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    no - she gave me her notice a couple of weeks ago - the end of next week is her last day - on to bigger brighter things, very brave in this economy

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by newbieplanner View post
    Instead of getting flowers for our ladies this year,
    What you don't have guy AA's?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    There is symmetry to today being Earth Day and Administrative Professionals Day.
    Oyyyyy... I shoulda logged on earlier!

It's also April Showers Day, so you've got some sort of trinity going on.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It was admin day today? Awwww, I didn't notice.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    It was admin day today? Awwww, I didn't notice.
    Remember way back when, it was called National Secretaries Day?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I think I am the de facto AA, but I am not sure. My office hosted the Earth Day event for the agency. I got a lot of nice comments on the design of the poster and email though
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    What you don't have guy AA's?
    When I started out as an intern in '07, it was definately not diverse. Out of the 11 staff members, only two were male (planner and code enforcement officer). Everyone was over the age of 40 except two planners. Now it's three males (two new planners and code enforcement officer). Since I've become full time there are 4of us that are under 40 and of course, I'm the only one that's single and wild!

I made banana nut bread for our appreciation lunch today. I burnt the bottom; I hope they don't notice!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Remember way back when, it was called National Secretaries Day?
    yes, and during the late 80's when secretaries wanted to be called Administrative Assistants but the holiday was still Secretaries Day, this guy in the office I worked would get them nothing for that day and say, "hey, you don't want to be secretaries!" - wise @$$ he was...

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Rather than taking my AA's out to lunch or buying flowers, my wife cooked up barbecue and brought lunch in for the whole building (about 10 people). She also made spa baskets for them with bath salts and hand scrubs and stuff like that. (It's her home-based business) They loved it. Hope every other AA in the city is jealous.

Asked the City Manager what he did for his AA for AP's Day. He said, "It's next week." Uhhhh . . . Does she know that?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Okay - Joe's out - he shamed us all...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Administrative Professionals Day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Apr 2010, 8:53 AM