Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Zero lot line myth debunking

Registered
    Apr 2009

Zero lot line myth debunking

Anyone know of a good source (i.e. website) for debunking myths about zero lot line development?

Registered
    May 2005
    What aspects of this are you seeking to "debunk?" We could use a little more context...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Posit what you believe to be the myths. Then we will gladly chip in.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Thanks. Main thing is the fire hazard myth. I know it depends on construction details that are in building codes, but having an article or something that I could hand out would be nice. Thanks again.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Guido View post
    Thanks. Main thing is the fire hazard myth. I know it depends on construction details that are in building codes, but having an article or something that I could hand out would be nice. Thanks again.
    I'm not familiar with specific myths about zero lot line development, but there are plenty of resources for debunking myths about density generally. This is a nice persentation from Goody-Clancy:

http://www.nga.org/cda/files/0408HealthCommDixon.PDF

Also, I find trying to "out-negative" naysayers doesn't work (zero lot line development is a fire hazard? NOT!), and have better luck with positive examples for why density is good (i.e. high density makes us healthier, low density makes us fat).

I'm not sure if this entirely fits-- but I do know some of the first lot line squabbles came from London.

Thatched roofs and their proximity to one another were to blame-- ironically though, I think through modern research we've proved that thatch roofs (I keep wanting to type of rooves) are a whole lot less flammable than the tar roofs that came to replace them.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Guido View post
    This describes the work CNU is doing regarding the concerns of first responders and New Urbanism street design.

http://www.cnu.org/emergencyresponse

A podcast from CNU: Narrow Streets and the Fire Truck

http://www.cnu.org/node/2038
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2009
    These are great. Thanks.

And the bit about thatched roofs... hilarious.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Even if you allow a zero lot line under zoning sometimes you need to have a small setback (3' or so) unless you use certain building materials to meet building code. Building code is probably the best place to deal with issues like fire safety, rather than in a zoning ordinance.

I live ina 30,000 person neighborhood with zero lot lines. Its safe, highly desirable and rather unaffordable (if thats an argument you want to make). We have buildings that have fires from time to time but the thick brick common walls have kept the entire neighbhrood from going up in smoke or even spreading from one building to another.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Debunking the cul-de-sac
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 15 Jan 2012, 3:27 PM
  2. Detox: Myth or Fact?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 May 2008, 5:48 PM
  3. The Myth of Market Failures
    Friday Afternoon Club