+ Reply to thread

Thread: Another planner's bad behavior

Registered
    Jun 2003

Another planner's bad behavior

HEADLINE: Ex-Miami Beach city planner pleads guilty to taking bribes
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miam...ry/968952.html

HIGHLIGHT:
    As part of a deal with state prosecutors, ______ pleaded guilty to two counts of unlawful compensation, a second-degree felony. He was sentenced to 15 months in state prison, to be followed by two years of probation.

In exchange for his plea, the State Attorney's Office agreed to drop a felony charge of racketeering, which would have carried a more severe penalty.

Asked by Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Beatrice Butchko why he accepted the plea, Johnson simply said: ``I did it.''
    What do you think about that ?
    At least he was smart enough to plea for a deal.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    15 months is pretty lame. He must have names names.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    15 months is pretty lame. He must have names names.
    That's what I'm thinking, although from reading the article, it sounds like the developer had already sung like a canary. I wonder if the planner handed over names of other developers that had been bribing him, and they are not indicting him on those due to his cooperation in identifying them.

$8,000... come on... I figured a corrupt planner would at least be smart enough to get a large enough bribe to leave the country!

Even though it's a plea bargain, at least he had the guts to admit he was wrong. Enjoy your 15 months, asshole, and thanks for giving the profession a black eye.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...will also lose his professional licenses in the state of Florida.
    What's that mean? There's no license requirement to practice planning in Florida. Maybe AICP revoked his membership? I'll bet he's shaking in his boots if that's the case.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'd like to know about the nature of the bribe. If the planner was in development review, he probably would have been bribed to either give a positive recommendation for a project, which if inappropriate wouldn't have escaped the eyes of his cowrkers and supervisors, or to ignore some aspect of zoning or development codes, which would likely be discovered in the future.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    $8,000... come on... I figured a corrupt planner would at least be smart enough to get a large enough bribe to leave the country!
    You'd be surprised for what paltry amounts people will risk their livelihoods and good names. Maybe they figure that it's a small amount, so nobody will do anything about it. When I worked for NYS, the three head honchos of my agency's MIS department -- guys making very hefty salaries -- got fired for taking bribes from sales reps that totalled less than $1,000 each. Part of the bribe included tickets of New York Giants football games (not season tix, but individual game tix no less)!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Follow-up article:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/sout...ry/970065.html

WHOA!--->
    But his indictment in March 2008 did not stop Johnson from landing a job as the town planner for Eatonville, Fla., in June -- a gig he gave up after officials learned of the pending bribery charges.
    Of course in June '08 there was such a dire shortage of unemployed planners that absolutely nobody else in the entire world except Henry Johnson was qualified for the Eatonville job.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    WHOA!--->Of course in June '08 there was such a dire shortage of unemployed planners that absolutely nobody else in the entire world except Henry Johnson was qualified for the Eatonville job.
    Um Eatonville...it not exactly a planner's dream job, but with the market today, it might look like a good opportunity...any other former cent. fla. planners want to chime in on this?
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Um Eatonville...it not exactly a planner's dream job, but with the market today, it might look like a good opportunity...any other former cent. fla. planners want to chime in on this?
    Just in case anyone is interested ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Hey, at least the pay has gotten better than the last posting I saw...still couldn't pay me enough to deal with that city's issues. Still in this economy, i'm sure they will get a few applicants
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Another Planner's Bad Behavior
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 10:59 PM
  2. Another planner's bad behavior
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 25 Jan 2011, 12:22 PM
  3. More bad planner behavior