Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Retrofitting suburbia: planning article in Time

Retrofitting suburbia: planning article in Time

Hopefully, this link will take to the latest issue of Time. The article is about converting Tysons Corner into a functional city. All-in-all, a good, balanced article. Kinda reminds of what Schaumburg went through. VA planners, what do you think and do you have any insights.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...904187,00.html
    Last edited by Maister; 18 Jun 2009 at 2:59 PM. Reason: double checked url
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Can you say.....

BACKFIRE!? 50,000 new residential units will really help out DC With a new rail line linking the City to Tyson's Corner and all that attractive new urban quality of life, I would think that most of the buyers will be people needing convenient close in access to DC The rush of people seeking cheaper housing close to DC could derail some of the stuff they want to accomplish. No doubt having all that new access will help the traffic conditions....I mean how could they hurt it?
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I thought that was a good article. I especially liked the graphics, they really give a good picture of current and planned conditions.

I don't think this will backfire. I know that the region is planning on creating quite a few new jobs in the time period that is covered by the redevelopment process. In fact, I know that one of the big arguments in the region re: populaton growth is that they are predicting more jobs than the future population can support. So, these units will not necessarily suck residents out of DC. Besides, I'd be suprised if the vast majority of employees there weren't coming in from the VA suburbs or down the beltway from MD.

In fact, this kind of development is the only way for the region to meet its future economic development goals. Otherwise population growth will stall and the jobs will go elsewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Schaumburg's been fixed??? Does this mean it can't multiply anymore?

Its been a while (thankfully) since I've been to Schaumburg. Is the fix simply the new outdoor mall where the failed Ward's Mall was next to Woodfield? Has something else been done there that I don't know about? Did that take a bulldozer to Golf Rd?

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Schaumburg's been fixed??? Does this mean it can't multiply anymore?

Its been a while (thankfully) since I've been to Schaumburg. Is the fix simply the new outdoor mall where the failed Ward's Mall was next to Woodfield? Has something else been done there that I don't know about? Did that take a bulldozer to Golf Rd?
    As I recall, they were retrofitting it and trying to create a town center and municipal buildings. I'm not sure how far they got with those efforts. Basically, trying to create a community out of sprawl. What Tysons Corner is trying to do.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 11:23 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2010, 3:27 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Apr 2009, 1:38 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 4:29 PM
  5. Retrofitting houses for seniors
    Design, Space, and Place