Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The stimulus package and public housing

The stimulus package and public housing

Hi

Was any of the stimulus money targeted for rehabilitation of public housing? Could any of it be used?

Thanks!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I don't know if rehabilitation of public housing was a specific "stimulus" item but I know money for low-income households was included. For example, we received 2.5 million dollars to remove lead paint from low income households. Also, we received several hundred thousand dollars to help rehab low income owner-occupied homes in one specific TIF district.

All of that funding was provided through the "stimulus" package. Also, we are applying for another grant for several hundred thousand dollars for blight demolition, funded through the bill. It's tough because we aren't an entitlement community (over 50K residents) so we need to compete for every grant.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Yes. Not sure how much the total was, but this article on the SFHA getting $18 million mentions another $1 billion on the table:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...0/daily19.html
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    SEMCOG has a clearinghouse page for stimulus package information.

This link will give some info on CDBG

New rules are coming out daily on this stuff. Its been my experience that most information changes as new details are known. Its been trying to hit a moving target.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Thanks all!

BANNED
    Registered
    May 2009
    Thanks for info everyone....I always wondered how the stimulus money was going to be put to use

Registered
    May 2005
    I know a good deal of ARRA monies are coming to states through Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP). Don't know if any of those are intended for public housing.

http://usmayors.org/usmayornewspaper...ARRA_funds.asp

Funding was appropriated for both programs by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. With respect for NSP2, local governments, states, and non-profits can compete for $1.93 billion to implement neighborhood stabilization programs to address the effects of mortgage foreclosures. Applications for the NSP funds will be due July 17. Applicants may also compete for technical assistance funds. No more than $50 million will be available to communities receiving NSP2 funds or NSP1 funds for technical assistance which would include the capacity building of local communities to carry out neighborhood stabilization. Applications for NSP technical assistance will be due June 8.
    I also saw this on the recovery.gov site

Monday, May 18, 2009

Visit to Pennsylvania highlights grants that will help the elderly, boost energy efficiency and create jobs

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Donovan today announced that HUD is offering nearly $1 billion to make substantial improvements to thousands of public housing units nationwide. The Public Housing Capital Funds being offered are provided through The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act) and are designed to help public housing authorities improve the quality of their housing stock, promote energy efficiency and create jobs.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Stimulus package and planning jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 4:26 PM
  2. Public housing and commercial development?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Sep 2007, 11:07 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 11:35 AM
  4. Eco-design in public housing
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Aug 2001, 8:56 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Aug 2001, 4:53 PM