Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planetizen Guide

Registered
    Apr 2009

Planetizen Guide

Is the Planetizen grad school guide worth the investment? I'm looking at international planning.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    The guide will not give you much fidelity on any program's strength in international development or otherwise. It has a list of 10 or 20 schools it has deemed strong in the field with basically no explanation how they came to that determination. The guide is useful for broadly comparing programs throughout N. America in terms of faculty/class sizes, broad-based program strengths, tuition costs, faculty scholarly productivity, etc. If you want to investigate a niche like international planning work, an individual program's website would probably provide a lot more relevant information.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Most of the information in the Planetizen guide comes straight from the ACSP guide, which is available in hard copy for the same price as the Planetizen guide and in pdf form on the ACSP website for free.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the link.

I am really looking into Berkeley's program, but I noticed that Berkeley isn't in the guide. Know of any reason why?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NoChance View post
    Thanks for the link.

I am really looking into Berkeley's program, but I noticed that Berkeley isn't in the guide. Know of any reason why?
    Huh, that's odd. It's in the 2007 edition of both the ACSP and Planetizen guides. No idea why it's not in the 2008 edition.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Oh well

It's strange, but I know their program exists, and that's what truly matters.

This guide is going to be good for occupying my thoughts between the end of classes and finals. My dorky nature has me assigning weighted values of importance to my personal rank of each school in things like location, number of professors, and general gut feeling so that Excel can generate a ranking of my favorite schools for me.

Currently my ranking factors are (feel free to suggest some others):
    # of professors in my specialization
    Overall specialization fit with interests
    Name Recognition
    Gut

This is just me being honest with myself about what I am looking for. Specialization fit and gut feeling have the heaviest weight, while tuition (because it's impossible to know about financial aid) and name recognition have the least.

Ultimately though, this will likely be just for entertainment/organizational purposes, knowing me...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 5:06 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Feb 2012, 5:27 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Nov 2010, 11:37 AM
  4. APA Guide
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Oct 2003, 11:52 AM